9

A few weeks into their orchestra class, and the weather still remained a stagnant 80 degrees, with bright sunshine and clear skies.

It surely didn't feel like September at all--it might have well been the dead of summer.

Hazel entered their orchestra classroom, ready for another day of rehearsal. Her dark brown hair was tied up in a high ponytail, strands of hair pulled out in the front to frame her face. Once she entered the classroom, she turned towards Mrs. Moon's desk to say hi, only to find an old man standing at the front of their classroom with a stoic expression.

"Who are you and what have you done with Mrs. Moon!" Kai demanded. Her stand partner was in his usual uniform, but he nearly always forgot his tie at home. With unruly chestnut brown hair and tanned skin, he might've walked straight out of a high school movie.

It was too bad that he was a pain in the ass.

Hazel rolled her eyes, exchanging a glance with her friend, who was tuning her instrument in the cello section. They were both thinking the same thing--today was going to be an interesting day.

There was simply never a dull day in orchestra rehearsal.

"I'm the substitute teacher," the man stated, who was, in fact, their substitute teacher.

"Right, and I'm the Queen of France," Kai said, sarcasm dripping in his voice.

Hazel stood next to Kai, who was about the same height as her.

"I don't know, I think you'd look pretty good in a powdered wig and ball gown." Hazel remarked, folding her arms.

"Excuse me?" he asked, his eyes popping out of his head.

"You're excused," she dismissed, before turning to their substitute. "Apologies for his insolence. I'm afraid Mrs. Moon is the only one who is capable of keeping him in check."

"None taken," their substitute teacher said with a smile, wrinkles forming in the corners of his eyes. "If you could have everyone sit down in their seats so that I can take roll, that would be great."

Hazel nodded, and Kai followed as they told everyone to get set up and take their usual assigned seats.

On top of her music stand, Mrs. Moon had left a sheet with all of the sections that she wanted them to review in class today. It was typical protocol that when a teacher was absent, their student conductors would fill in for her position. After their substitute teacher had taken roll, they began to go over their plan for rehearsal today.

"Is Vivian here?" Kai asked, scanning the room for the other student conductor appointed by their teacher. The entire cello section shook their heads--no one really knew where she was.

"Alright, well we're going to need another student conductor besides myself," Kai said, scanning their class.

Not a single person moved.

Hazel sighed, standing up. "I'll do it. Our section can hold their own even if the both of us aren't playing."

Kai raised a brow in skepticism.

"What? You think I can't conduct?" she asked, setting her violin and bow on her seat before walking to the center of the orchestra next to Kai.

He said nothing, before picking up a pencil as his makeshift baton and flipping to the first piece they were meant to rehearse.

"Everyone take out Jupiter," Hazel instructed. "Mrs. Moon wants us to do a run through of it first."

A momentary shuffling of papers ensued, while Hazel and Kai began perusing Mrs. Moon's score. Each row of measures indicated each section's part for the piece.