Chapter Three: A Weight Outside My Gut

Redson was independent and reliable.

At least he tried to be, for his parents. He tried to stand up when he could, and be understanding and kind. Always treat them with respect. He owed them. They were the reason he was here, so no matter the cause he would treat them courteously and lovingly.

He would love them unconditionally. Their love was conditional if it was even there, but they had the right. The reason. He did not, he owed them his life. They owed him none. He always fulfilled their requests whenever he could, he'd teach himself how to be useful so that he may earn that affection.

So when the Newdle boy flew back up from his window and perched himself with a pissed face on the windowsill Red Son didn't feel remorse. "Why the fuck are you at my house Newdle Boy..?" He asked drowsily, hands resting on his hips as he shifted his weight onto his left leg.

"I wanted to talk to you," he said casually, inviting himself into Red Son's luxurious bedroom with a cheery little smile, pushing up the window and crawling in awkwardly. Red Son's brow rose from the boy's slight audacity but he did nothing to stop him from climbing into his room.

"It's too early for this, you imbecile..." Red Son mumbled, little embers waving around through his hair, warming up the room. He waddled back towards his bed, slumping onto it. "What do you want...make it quick, I wish to get a wink of sleep tonight." his words were slightly slurred but he couldn't care less.

"Well, erm-" Mk tried to start. He hadn't exactly thought of what he was going to tell Redson. Which was troubling because that was the entire point of his visit. Or, more accurately, of his break-in.

"Wait. Don't say anything. If this is about the other night I don't want to hear it. That was a moment of weakness, erase it from your mind." Redson spat. His eyes were hooded with sleepiness and annoyance, but mostly sleepiness. "I mean... it's not...not about the other night" Redson groaned.

"Ugh, look. I know we don't have the best history, and I know you don't really like me but...I- I'm worried about you." The Newdle boy admitted. Redson had to do a double take, were his ears deceiving him? "Sorry, you what?" he chuckled, a confused smile on his face. "Is this a trap?" he scoffed.

"No. Redson, I...you're my friend, and I care about you. I want to know if something is wrong, so I can try to help you." The Newdle boy said with gentle sincerity, he laid his hand on top of Red Son's. And the demon almost believed him, brows furrowing at the strange words before connecting eyes with the boy.

What was this feeling?

The tingly feeling went away as Red Son broke out into a loud cackle. Slipping his hand out from beneath Mk's. "HAHAHAHA!! Oh wow! You almost got me there, haha!" he sighed. "God Newdle boy. There is never a dull moment with you is there," he said sarcastically, his smile fading away as fast as it appeared.

"What? Do you think I'm joking?" Mk snapped. "You really think I'd believe this little shtick of yours? Don't underestim-" he was cut off. "I'm serious Red Son!" Mk yelled with exasperation. Brows twisted into a concerned expression. The stunned silence was all Mk needed to continue.

"I have been since that night!" he continued with the same fervor. Red Son simply sat there, eyes wide and glued to the Newdle boy. Mk paused again, glossy brown eyes searching through the pair of dark red ones, little tears beginning to prick at his own.

"Why in the- why were you out there that night Red Son..?" Mk asked, tone much gentler than before. "I..." Red Son faltered. "I don't have to tell you anything. Don't offer me your fake pity." Red Son spat, shutting Mk out again. "Red Son... please." Mk pleaded, and his hand found its way back onto Red Sons. And he squeezed it reassuringly.