The Calm Before the Storm

Chapter 24

Maia walked around the castle. All of her nerve endings were on high alert. It had been five days since she returned and she didn’t know when the attack would come.  She had prepared all she could. She had medical tents. She had new weapons. Her troops were training and ready. The castle battlements were being fixed. From the looks of it, she had covered all the corners for a battle. She was cautious. She had watchmen in the fields and at the ocean for the purpose of informing of any change in the landscape. So she sat in her throne, waiting.

“Princess, you look tense. Perhaps you should release your stress,” suggested Irian from his position  at her side.

“I want to be available to hear any petitions,” she grumbled.

“Do you want company? Maybe that Acelin of yours.”  

“He is not my Acelin.” Her eyes looked away. She was embarrassed. Irian coughed quickly to cover up the laugh he wanted to let out.  They had only waited a few moments before the princess stood up. On a normal day, she was a creature full of restless energy.  Never one to sit around content with dictating from her throne. She could not change her habits so easily.

“Irian, I am going on the field to oversee the training. You will take notice of any petition the people may have. “

“Of course, princess.”

She walked quickly to her suite. It only took her moments to change and head to Acelin’s chamber. She was prepared to knock on the door when she heard a giggle. Fury roared through her as she pushed the doors open. There was a chambermaid in his arms. She was bent over backwards. Acelin immediately dropped her as he walked to the princess.

“Princess, nice of you to come.” His smile faded when he saw the burning look in her eyes. “What’s wrong?” He followed her line of sight to the maid who was picking herself off the floor. The top of her dress had been adjusted to show her cleavage. The maid pulled the top up and scurried from the room without meeting the Princess’s eyes.

“Are you jealous?” he asked with a smirk. He slid his hands to her waist. With a downward jerk of her elbows, she knocked his hands away.

“You are! Princess, I am flattered.”  He grabbed her shoulders as he looked deeper in her eyes. She refused to say a word. Instead, she wiggled until she was free and began to walk to the door.  He pulled her back and held her tight against him.

“I’m sorry that you are jealous, but there is no need. That maid fell down. Probably on purpose. She seemed to be a bit too coy.”

“As if you are not either,” she grumbled.

“Here we go. I need no one but you.”

“Acelin, you have to be careful. There are many who will tempt you. How can I trust you? Your reputation precedes you. Piracy does not bring to mind loyalty or fidelity.“

“Words won’t calm your worries. Just look at me and watch my actions. You will see that even a pirate has a sense of loyalty for the important things. My princess, you are my important thing.” He sealed his confession with a kiss.

“We’ll see. From now on, male attendants only.” He laughed.

“What did you come for? Unless it is only to see my handsome face.” At that, she snorted.

“You don’t have to be so flippant.” She merely ignored him and began to talk.

“Let’s go practice. You will need to work hard to keep up with me. I will not tolerate you slowing me down.”