Back to Black

Today marks 7 weeks since the crash and 4 since I was out into my aunt's care. Its going to be my first day of school in a new place, I miss my friends.

I'm getting dressed for school, I put on a light blue hoodie, some dark wash jeans, and a pair of black combat boots.

I look at myself in the mirror as I brush my teeth. I have a small scar across my right eye and one just above my right eyebrow. I have a little of baby fat still left on my face and a few more freckles than I had before the crash. My hair has grown a bit, so it sits in a curly brown mess just above my shoulders. I guess I look ok.

"Elijah!! It's time to go, let's go!!" I hear my aunt yell from the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming!!" I run down the stairs and out the door to the car.

The ride to school was filled with awkward silence. When we got to the school, my aunt pulled into the drop off lane.

"You're going to be fine. You're a smart kid and if you have any problems, you know how to call me."

"Yeah I know, I will. Love you and thank you." I smile and get out of the car.

"Hey!"

I turn around and see a girl standing next to the curb. She has blonde hair that is put into space buns, a pair of glasses with rainbow lenses, a pink skirt with a white crop top.

"Are you the new kid?"

"Uh yeah. I'm Elijah."

"Cool! I'm Hayden."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Do you want me to show you around school? It's a big campus."

"Sure. Thank you."

"No problem! Come on."

I follow Hayden around the campus, and she shows me where everything is. She talks the entire time, but I don't mind.

"And lastly is the cafeteria. You have to get your own lunch, though."

"That's fine. Hey can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Where is the office? I have to get a schedule."

"Oh right! Follow me."

Hayden walks with me to the office. I open the door and walk up to the front desk.

"How can I help you, young man?" The women at the desk smiles at me.

"My name is Elijah. I'm new. I'm supposed to get my schedule."

"Oh yes, Elijah." She turns around and grabs a piece of paper. "Here you go. Let me know if you have questions or problems."

"Thank you." I turn to leave and see Hayden waiting by the door. 

"Let me see your schedule. Maybe we have the same lunch or homeroom."

I hand her the schedule and she looks at it.

"We have homeroom together! It's on the other side of the campus so we better start walking."

"Ok, cool."

Hayden and I walk through the halls to our homeroom. We sit in the back row of the classroom and chat while we wait for the bell.

The bell rings, and everyone takes their seats. A man walks in and stands at the front of the room.

"Hello everyone. My name is Mr. Williams and welcome back. We have a new student joining us this year. His name is Elijah. Elijah, do you want to tell us a bit about yourself?"