I was never looking for her.

-----------------------------

TW: Cursing (expect this for all following chapters. You read a Tommyinnit fanfic, what did you expect?), arguing, mentions/descriptions of a panic attack.

-----------------------------

Note: Kinda angst? Nothing to bring you to tears, but it's a start for sure.

-----------------------------

"Excuse me?"

The girl repeated, her arms crossing in front of her chest as she looked up at Tommy in a way that made him feel like a child.

Tommy opened his mouth, feeling like his vocal chords were flipped the wrong way around. He stammered out a-

"Uh- Well... I just-"

Tommy faltered, feeling heat under his collar at her scathing inspection.

Talk about being a fucking idiot. Tommy, you blundering idiot, talk. You've been speaking English your whole life.

He cursed internally, his nails digging into the base of his palm. Sharp green eyes carried disdain and disapproval at his failure to explain himself.

"Look, my phone is dead. I'm not from around here- which is probably clear by my accent- but I'm not even supposed to be in Chicago. I'm supposed to be in California, actually-" Tommy started, further regretting his words as she saw her eyebrows raise slightly at the mention of California. Her hand gestured for him to continue explaining himself. "But- the airline canceled my connecting flight and now I'm stuck here. I don't have a place to stay."

"And what does that have to do with you borrowing my phone?" She interrupted, looking more and more confused as Tommy went on talking.

"Because mine is dead. And I kind of need to use a phone."

The girl recoiled at his last few words.

"And you thought stealing mine would be a good replacement?"

For fuck's sake-

"No! That's not what I meant. I just need to call a friend of mine on the phone, and mine is dead."

Tommy snapped back. This girl distorted words a lot. Talk about trust issues... It was like everything he said either came out as a stammer, or a threat. Nothing in between, and he wasn't even doing it on purpose!

"Sure, you do. I really believe you. As much as I believe fish climb trees."

She retorted. This was an infuriating conversation.

"No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I want to borrow your phone-"

"And never give it back?"

"BORROW. Your phone, to call a friend, then give it back. You can trust me, I swear. I'm not wandering around trying to steal your flip phone, I'm just stranded in this stupid city, and I want to call a friend to see if I can get out of it."

Tommy hissed, and the girl just rolled her eyes in response. His heart longed to be magically taken away from this situation. Out of pure boredom and spite, he glanced around vaguely for a skip button. This was the real life equivalent of talking to an un-skippable NPC in a game you've already played 30 times over.

"You can swear up and down, but I have nothing to run off of besides your tone of voice, and I'm not terribly fond of it thus far. Where in this conversation have you given me a single reason to trust your word?"

The girl demanded, turning to the perfume bottles that had been watching this argument, glassy surfaces glimmering with amusement at their sibling-esque argument.