FIVE

(May)

I submerged myself in the tub, maybe that way I could relieve the tension I felt. I didn't feel like leaving the hotel anymore, but I didn't want to stay locked up remembering the incident with my phone. I put my head under the water for a few seconds and let out a scream of frustration when I ran out of air, getting out of the bathtub.

My stomach growled, I hadn't eaten anything after those burgers. I thought it would be a good opportunity to try the luxurious restaurant "SEASON HOTEL MIRADOR".

I couldn't show up there in any way, so I decided to put on one of the dresses I had brought for the writers' meeting. It was a satin dress in a wine tone, with long sleeves and reaching my thighs. It had a V-neckline and buttons of the same color. To complete the outfit, I put on black heels.

I went down to the hotel lobby minutes later and headed to the elegant restaurant. The place was spacious and sophisticated, just like the rest of the hotel, with a contemporary decoration and crystal lamps that reflected in the golden mirrors, creating a cozy atmosphere. The dark wood tables and chairs contrasted with the white tablecloths.

A little apart, there was a bar that offered exotic and traditional drinks, and near it, leather armchairs for those who preferred to drink comfortably. Fortunately, the place was not as crowded as I had imagined, and I internally thanked that there were few people, otherwise, I would have many eyes on me if I dropped the cutlery for my lack of etiquette.

One of the advantages of the hotel restaurant was that diners could order the dishes they wanted to try or simply enjoy what was offered in the buffet.

I grabbed a plate that was on a shelf near the buffet and started to select what I was going to eat. I opted for a salad as an appetizer, and of all the main courses, what attracted me the most were some Mexican burritos. Not that the rest of the food looked horrible, I just didn't know how to eat some dishes, like snails, which I had never tried before.

I chose a table near a mirror and when I placed my food on the table, my choice seemed quite simple. I searched in my bag, I wanted to capture that beautiful moment with a photo, but I remembered that I didn't have my mobile with me.

The music started to play, it was a jazz that created a pleasant atmosphere without being exaggerated.

Just as I was finishing my salad, a murmur spread through the place. I raised my head and noticed that everyone was looking in one direction. I followed their gaze and found a group of people, specifically six men dressed in an elegant but casual way, neither too serious nor too informal. Behind them, there were a few more men, all dressed in black suits. As I looked at them more closely, I could see that they were all tall, fit and very attractive, with Asian features that gave them a special charm. The six sat at a table and the rest that followed them occupied another.

A group of women a few tables away seemed to be in ecstasy and couldn't believe what they saw. I noticed how one of them, of brown skin, hyperventilated and fanned herself. By the way the rest of the attendees looked at them, I deduced that they must be the guys who had caused the crowd of fans at the hotel door.

Without losing sight of them, I took a burrito to my mouth, one by one. It felt like I was watching a video on YouTube. I was curious to see how they would react to the indiscreet looks of the other diners, but they seemed to not notice. Maybe they thought that if they ignored the others, the rest would forget them and go back to their business.

I lowered my hand to take another burrito from my plate, without taking my eyes off them, but when I found no more food, I looked down and realized that I had eaten it all. To confirm that no one had seen that, I looked up, but I ended up crossing with the eyes of one of those guys. By the expression on his face, I knew he had seen everything. A bit embarrassed, I looked away to anywhere else in the restaurant.

After a long five seconds, I looked back slowly and he was no longer looking at me. All I could distinguish was part of his blond hair and his profile, which was very pretty and delicate.

With nothing else to nibble on, I got up and walked away from them as much as I could. At least that way they wouldn't feel the weight of my gaze, and I hoped that would be enough for them to have a nice and quiet evening. They deserved it. Although I didn't know them, I could imagine how hard it must be to live always under the gaze of others. It didn't matter if those looks had good intentions, one would always feel watched and limited.

I went to the bar area, as I wanted to try a couple of cocktails that had been recommended to me since I got on the plane. Los Angeles is a city famous for its nightlife, its culture and its diversity. Among its attractions are the cocktails, which are alcoholic drinks mixed with other ingredients, such as juices, fruits, spices, and more. The cocktails of Los Angeles usually reflect the influence of the different communities that inhabit the city, such as the Latin, the Asian, the European and the American.

I sat in one of the chairs in front of the bar. The bartender smiled at me and asked me what I was going to drink.

—A Martini, please —I replied.

I wanted to start by trying that classic drink that originated in San Francisco, but that became famous in Los Angeles for being the favorite of James Bond and other Hollywood characters.

The boy behind the bar began to prepare the cocktail in front of me. He put gin and dry vermouth, and served it in a glass with an olive. As I approached the glass, I could perceive a soft aroma, and when I tasted it, it had a sweet taste.

—This is the perfect drink if you want to start a cocktail tasting —he commented and I nodded.

He asked me what other cocktail I would like to try

The next cocktail I had in mind was the Mai Tai. I asked the bartender and he started to prepare it. The Mai Tai was a cocktail of Polynesian origin that became popular in Los Angeles thanks to the tiki bars, which recreate the tropical and exotic atmosphere of the Pacific islands.

The boy made the cocktail with rum, curaçao, lime juice, sugar syrup and orgeat, which is an almond syrup. He served it in a glass with ice and decorated it with a slice of lime, a cherry and an umbrella.

As soon as the drink touched my mouth, I could experience an explosion of flavors, from the bitterness of the rum to the sweetness of the syrup. It was the first time I had such an experience. Somehow, I had left behind the events of the day and replaced them with ecstasy and joy, as side effects of drinking alcohol.

At some point in the night, I lost track of time and also lost count of the number of drinks I ordered.

Thanks so much for reading!