Chapter 2: The Past Sucks

Two Years Before

"Where are we going?" Y/N watched as trees zipped past her through the carriage windows. Her father loaded her and much of her belongings (only the things that cost less than 50 copper pieces) into the family carriage this morning without a word.

"You'll see when we get there." He huffed, avoiding eye contact. He had grown much older in the past few months than in previous years. His beard was turning gray and the bags under his eyes had sunken deeper into his skin. But, if Y/N looked closely she could see the common Earth Nation man she knew as a child, before everything changed. Before the Fire Nation.

Traveling for another handful of hours, Y/N's limbs had grown stiff and her mind was bored. She hated having nothing to distract her from her thoughts. Suddenly, the carriage halted to a stop, throwing her across the cabin.

"We're here. Get up, fix your clothes." Her father barked. Before they embarked on their journey, her father had made sure she wore proper clothes, none of her mother's old Earth Nation attire, only fully traditional Fire Nation robes. Y/N carefully stepped out of the carriage, and looked around her surroundings. They looked to be at a large bay, with tents littering the ground around them and large navy ships docked in the water. All around Fire Nation flags hung from tall poles. She saw soldiers milling around in armor and assorted weapons being hauled in different directions. Y/N frowned, why were they here?

Directly in front of them, a man stalked towards them. He had long hair that had been tied up into a bun on top of his head and mutton chops that came to a point off of his face. "Captain Zhao. It's nice to see you again." Y\/N's father reached forward to shake the man's hand. Captain Zhao's eyes drifted to Y/N, something about his look chilled her to the bone and caused goosebumps to erupt on her skin. "This is Y/N. The girl I spoke to you about."

They had spoken about her?

"Wonderful to meet you Y/N." He did not offer his hand. "I'm not sure how much you've discussed with Mr. L/N but not to worry we'll take good care of you here."

Take care of her. Y/N's eyebrows pinched to the center of her face, confused. "What do you mean?" She asked. She started to feel panic bubble up from her stomach. This past year had been hard with her... episodes. Was her father finally fed up?

"I see. Your father wrote to me, informing me of these "episodes" you have." Y/N turned to face her father, who refused to meet her eyes. "I think you'll find your very valuable to Fire Nation. We need you here."

Y/N's eyes started to water and breath quickened. What has her father done?

"I've seen to it that your belongings have been placed with us. Now if you'd please follow me."

"What? No." Y/N's voice cracked as tears slipped down her face. "Father, please!" She turned to him and clung on his arm, his face was stone cold.

He swung his arm, throwing Y/n's hands off of him, "Get ahold of yourself. This is the right thing." Y/n fell to her knees, no longer caring about her robes, her father was abandoning her. Two men came from behind her, gripping underneath her arms and pulling her up.

"No! Get off of me!" Y/N thrashed against the guards. "Please, no!" The guards gripped her harder, forcing her into submission. At this point, her vision was completely blurred from the tears that stung her eyes. She was inconsolable, hiccuping trying to catch her breath.

Y/N's father watched as they dragged her into the Fire Nation Navy camp.

*

Y/N's eyes flew open. Her father's betrayal plagued her dreams, she was used to nightmares and chilling images, but any recall to her father's action always hurt worse. Y/N quickly remembered where she was, a small beach surrounded in lush green and rolling mountains. The campfire from the night before was still smoking and Appa was happily munching on a snack. Y/N took a deep breath of the fresh air and admired the beauty that surrounded her, vowing to never take it for granted. She knew how quickly it could be taken away.