Chapter 11

The next morning, I get dressed for university and take the dog out for a small walk. He's been getting better every day, his fur is almost all back. From what I can tell, he's some type of Irish Wolfhound mixed with something slightly smaller. Wiry grey fur and thin build, about the height of a German Shepherd.

Unfortunately, his paw is still in a splint and the walk is awkward and slow. I'm less than fifty meters away from my building when I see George standing in the distance, watching me. I wave him over and he comes. He goes to pat the dog, but my nervous ball of fur just recoils and evades him,

"He's a little nervous with strangers" I explain, George gives up on trying to touch him and looks up at me, "how come you're here?" I ask, a little surprised he's been coming over so much. His university is far from ours,

"Just came this morning" he shrugs, "Nina told me about your roommate driving you home" he says, sounding a little annoyed,

"Daniel?"

"He drove you home last night?"

"Yes"

"But Nina said you suspected he may be involved in the stalking"

"I was wrong"

"Are you sure?"

"Positive" he frowns at my response, I'm a bit confused at his reaction, "what's wrong?"

"How can you just trust him like that?" he asks, "what if he's dangerous?"

"I'm telling you. I'm positive it's not him now"

"How can you be so sure?"

"He literally drove me home last night, George. He could have hurt me if he wanted to"

"That's what he wanted you to think"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you know he's not playing mind games with you, Sofia? How do you know he's not tricking you? I offered to drive you the other day and you said no, and now you're accepting rides from anyone"

"Why are you so suspicious of him?" I ask,

"I have reasons"

"What reasons?" my mind is instantly on alert, "did he do something?"

"No... I mean, maybe. It's just a gut feeling" he says,

"I'm being careful, George, trust me"

"You call getting into a car with a complete stranger careful?" he asks angrily. I'm really shocked at his tone of voice. I can't understand where he's coming from,

"He's not a complete stranger to me. He's my roommate. We've been living in the same apartment for weeks"

"But Nina told me about your suspicions, how he has a gun in his room, knives..."

"I know but he sort of proved yesterday that it's not him. When I got that envelope, Daniel was in a shower, so he didn't put it there"

"And you think he couldn't have paid someone to do it?"

"He could have, but then he came to pick me up. Drove both me and Lara home, without hurting us"

"What if he just wants to gain your trust?"

"Maybe but... George if there is a reason you're so suspicious of him, please tell me. I need to know"

George doesn't get to respond. Nina is walking out of our apartment building, she sees us straight away and makes her way to us. She looks surprised to see George here,

"Hey!" she runs in to hug him, then she looks at him with confusion, "how come you're here? Didn't you say you had exams today?" she asks,

"My mistake, they're tomorrow" he says, I can still hear some annoyance in his tone of voice. She laughs,

"So instead of studying you thought you better come see me, hey?" she teases,

"You're my number one" he kisses her,

"Okay, okay, too much affection for me" I laugh, "I need to go, take the dog back in"

"Okay! Be careful, 'kay?" Nina hugs me, "I have to go to uni, too. Will you take me, George?"

"Yes, that's why I am here!" he says, taking her hand. They walk off to his car.

The dog and I slowly make our way up to the apartment. The little furball is really growing on me, but I know I won't be able to keep him in an apartment. My parents live a few hours from here, I plan on visiting them over the weekend and leaving the dog with them. They have a big block, he'll love it there. Once I feed the dog, I start setting up the camera I purchased. It's a tiny stick-on camera that I secure above the front door. It's sensor based so only turns on when someone is within the range. Any footage it captures, stays in the camera. I hope the stalker isn't very tech savvy to know this. Because if he is, he will surely notice he can pull it off and throw it away. All the videos saved on it would vanish with the camera.

After I am done, I go to university. At around noon, Lara and I are sitting in the cafeteria, drinking a coffee, when Nina sees us. She joins us and sits across from me,

"Where's George?" I ask,

"He left," she frowns, "he was acting a little off this morning"

"I noticed that too. Maybe he's worried about you because of the stalker?"

"Maybe... but in any case, the fact he forgot his exams weren't running today... it's a little weird. It's not like him. Also, why did he drive three hours to just see me for less than an hour? I don't get it"

"I was surprised to see him too" I admit, "and he seemed upset I took a ride with Daniel last night"

"Yes, George told me to tell you not to do that. I said he's worrying needlessly"

"I get him, though" Lara says, "I can't imagine how I'd feel if my girlfriend was close to any sort of danger. And you are, Nina. Just the fact you're living with me puts you at risk. It's sort of sweet he made such a big drive just to check up on you"

Both Nina and I agree with her. I hate even thinking it, but I wish Nina lived with George for some time. At least until this is all over. If it will ever be.

Early Saturday morning, I pack up all of the dog's stuff and put it in a plastic bag, I also pack my own backpack ready to leave for the train station. Nina joins me on my walk to the station, she's normally not an early riser so on the walk there she can't help but complain that I decided to buy the earliest possible ticket. I tell her she'll be a good lawyer with how much she can talk, she hits me playfully on my shoulder, making me laugh.

"I'll miss you, Sofia" she says as we wait for the train, "I'll miss Wolf too" she pets the dog,

"Wolf? You named him?" I ask,

"Yup. He looks like a wolf, doesn't he? And it was about time someone gave him a name" she says, I nod, can't really argue that. And now that she mentions it, he does look like a little wolf. The train is approaching, Nina gives me a big hug,

"I'll miss you two" she repeats,

"We'll visit Wolf whenever we visit my parents. And I'm only leaving for the weekend, so you won't miss me" I say, hugging her back, "but Nina? Please be careful. I'd be happiest if you went to George's place over the weekend"

"I can't, he said he's busy with his cousin's wedding"

"You could stay at Lara's. I know she'd be happy to have someone there with her"

"Daniel and Phil seem a good option too" she interjects,

"Okay, but don't leave the apartment alone, and if you really have to, then-"

"I'll be careful" she cuts me off with a cheeky grin. I give her another hug then Wolf and I get on the train.