[09] Puppet on a String

"So, do you have a plan?" you asked, glancing at Izuku

"So, do you have a plan?" you asked, glancing at Izuku. You were positioned between him and Uraraka, trying to maintain a low profile. You desperately wanted to unleash your powerful dragon form, but it wasn't a safe option. Pushing yourself too far could risk losing control, and that was a concern weighing heavily on your mind.

"No... not really," Izuku whispered, and you huffed in frustration. "Couldn't you use your dragon form, though, Star?" Uraraka asked, her voice filled with curiosity. You turned to look at her over your wings and shoulder. "Yeah, I could, but if I stay in that form for too long, I risk losing touch with my human side and going on a rampage," you explained, concern lacing your words. Before you could continue, your ear twitched, alerting you to Bakugo's approaching presence. You snapped into action, urging Izuku and Uraraka to go ahead while you served as a distraction.

They sprinted away just as Bakugo burst through the wall, his fiery explosions creating a blazing spectacle around you. Wincing as a few flames licked your skin, you reminded yourself of the vulnerability you faced when you remained in human form for too long. Unlike in your dragon form, you lacked fire resistance.

"Hah? What're you doing here, lizard bastard?" Bakugo snarled, his voice dripping with disdain. "Where is that stupid nerd and floaty girl? Did they abandon you?" he mocked. Rolling your slitted blue eyes, you retorted, "No, Bakugo, they did not." With a swift motion, you lashed out, slamming your wings into his stomach and forcefully pushing him back.

He gasped for air as the wind was knocked out of him. You didn't relent, continuing to pummel him relentlessly. Finally, you brought him down to the ground, placing a foot on his chest and spreading your wings behind you, casting a shadow to obscure your face from the camera. With a hiss, you declared, "You underestimate me, master. I am far more powerful than you think."

In the blink of an eye, purple flames gathered in the palms of your hands, and Bakugo's eyes widened, a gulp escaping him. After all, he had asked you to give it your all, but you weren't holding back on him in the slightest.

"Luna, don't attack him recklessly!" All Might's voice sounded through the comms in your ear, but you growled in response, pressing a long, slender finger to the device. "Shut up, Yagi," you retorted, before releasing your flames, the purple hue obscuring the camera's view. The sound of a persistent beeping overwhelmed the audio feed, indicating your fierce display.

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Bakugo coughed and waved away the smoke from his face. As he looked around, he realized that the pressure on his chest was gone. Nothing was holding him back anymore. "Huh," he muttered, rising to his feet and wincing as his muscles protested.

You hadn't given him a chance to defend himself. But he expected nothing less from you. You were too quick, too formidable. He growled, muttering, "Stupid lizard bastard. One day, I will defeat you. And when I do, I'll rip all your claws off, and you'll see who the true master is!"

Bakugo continued to march through the corridors, searching for any sign of you. Then Iida's voice came over the comm, interrupting his thoughts. "Bakugo, I found Team A. They have Star with them. Come to the weapons room immediately!"

Rolling his eyes, Bakugo quickened his pace, ascending the stairs that led to the uppermost level. Soon, he caught sight of a familiar heart-shaped tail disappearing into a room. A smirk tugged at his lips. There you are.

Silently, he crept into the room, but his stealth was short-lived. He was immediately pinned against the wall, and when he looked up, his eyes met a gaze of blue fire. "You're terrible at sneaking," you chuckled, cocking your head at his dazed state. With a flick of your wing, you revealed the scene in the room. Izuku and Uraraka were engaged in conversation near the dummy nuclear weapon, while Iida lay on the ground, bruised but otherwise unharmed.

"How—" Bakugo began, growling, but you smiled and met his gaze once more, using a slender hand to brush back a strand of long white hair. "Use your mind, explosive brain. One day, you'll be able to defeat even the smartest of dragons." You released him, and he thumped to the ground, his gaze fixed on the floor.

He heard your footsteps recede, and as he looked up, he saw you standing there, Izuku and Uraraka smiling at you as if you were the greatest gift they had ever received—a goddess, if you will. And perhaps, Bakugo admitted to himself, you were a goddess. But there was something more to your powers. The sharp mind and the sharp tongue. There was something you were hiding. He had seen you in your dragon form, he had seen you in your human form, but he had yet to see you vulnerable.

You played with hearts, you played with his heart, and for once in his life, he didn't mind being a puppet on a string. But only if you would be his one day, too.