10| THE TALK

WHEN COLE AND CHARIS DESCENDED THE STAIRS, both emotionally exhausted from their conversation, it seemed that no one was going to question them. No one would inquire about Cole's red eyes or Charis's pale face with her piercing blue eyes.

Before heading downstairs, Charis had promised Cole that she would talk to her sister, and she pledged not to ignore him over the four-day break. The family bid farewell to their hosts and returned home. In the following days, Charis intentionally woke up late, observed the scenery, and opted for long walks, intentionally missing lunch and eating it much later—even though her leg hurt a lot, she refused to stop. While she was no longer ignoring Cole's texts, the repetitive cycle raised concerns.

In truth, Charis's preoccupation wasn't solely about food; it rarely ever was. She longed to return to her former routines—her daily walks, occasional runs, and the cherished activity of horse riding. Yet, even with the anticipation of a new calf, she knew riding would be off-limits for at least two more years. Uncertainty clouded her thoughts about the future. Would she pursue higher education, or settle for a job in the city? Would she find fulfillment in her career, or merely endure it to get by?

As her sister prepared for college at Sarah Lawrence, Charis couldn't ignore the weight of responsibility that fell upon her. The passing of Aster and the subsequent loss of her mother had left Austin alone, a reality that gnawed at Charis's conscience. She couldn't bear the thought of abandoning him to the scrutiny of sympathetic onlookers, offering hollow condolences and misguided invitations. The prospect of leaving him to face his solitude was inconceivable to her.

These thoughts swirled incessantly in Charis's mind, especially during the long stretches of solitude she endured. In those quiet hours, her thoughts became her constant companions, weaving intricate scenarios and uncertainties that plagued her restless mind.

Perhaps it was this sense of unity and interconnectedness within the Walter family that Charis found herself envious of. In their household, there was a palpable presence of many individuals, each woven into the fabric of familial bonds. If one were to depart, their absence would be keenly felt by all, a stark contrast to the solitude that Charis feared for her own family.

Katherine and George, the pillars of the Walter household, seemed to exude a sense of cohesion that extended to every member of their family. Despite the abundance of personalities under one roof, harmony prevailed, and animosity was a foreign concept. Even with the constant flux of visitors and the addition of new family members like Jackie, the sense of togetherness remained unshaken.

And then there was Will, the eldest, whose presence, though physically distant at times, served as a reassuring reminder of family unity. Though he may have faced his own challenges, his proximity and the knowledge of his pursuits provided a sense of reassurance to the family.

In the Walter family, no one was ever truly alone. The bonds of kinship ensured that each member found solace and support in the collective embrace of their family.

On the third day of the break, they observed Bianca's death anniversary by reminiscing over photo albums and old videos and paying a visit to her grave. However, upon returning home, each retreated to their respective bedrooms, likely engaging in the same solitary activity as Charis: lying in bed, feeling lifeless, and yearning for brighter days ahead.

When Marilyn noticed her sister returning home daily, shaking from the cold and visibly in pain, yet stubbornly continuing the routine, she had had enough. She intercepted Charis, preventing her from passing by, and confronted her about her behavior. Closing herself inside her bedroom and pretending to study, Marilyn made it clear that she had noticed.

"Just come and eat dinner, Charis," Marilyn insisted, halting her sister's attempts to escape. The sisters sat down, and Austin, observing the situation, suggested putting ice on Charis's leg afterward.