Everyone seeks to benefit themselves in every situation they are presented with and at such times, they barely consider the cost.

"Nayantara, come here, my little Tara," The Raja called out to me in a sweet voice, someone not familiar with our family dynamics might have just confused it for love, unaware of all the sneers and snarls that laid beneath the loving exterior. "How have you been my daughter? You don't even bother to visit your old father these days?"

Old father? The same old father who was soon going to host a banquet and a feast on account of his new son's arrival? Some old father he is. I glanced at his heavily pregnant wife sitting beside his grand throne in the room, on a throne of her own,  though smaller than the one my father was occupying, it was grand enough. However it didn't take me long to realise the throne she was sitting on was not hers at all, no, it was mine. That throne is supposed to be the seat of the heir. I scoffed as I took her in, She wore a smile, it was pleasing, but bit too stiff. My father's hand resting on hers. Disgust coursed through my body, as it always does at the sight of them.

The witch really thought she would take my place so easily? Even if I leave the palace for good, I wouldn't let her live peacefully, because before leaving I will make sure both she and her husband pay for what they did to my mother, the rightful Queen and the only person of royal bloodline. For ruining my life, my family and my kingdom.

Sometimes it shocks me to my core to know that my mother had actually loved this man, that too, against my grandfather's wishes. Oh how the love blinds us.

"Father," I joined both my palms and bowed slightly, "it's indeed been a long time, you shall forgive me for my forgetfulness while I mourned for Virat, won't you?" My voice cracked towards the end of the sentence.

Perhaps I should consider joining a drama group after running away afterall.

"Ah yes, Virat, I know you are still in mourning my dear, but I will have to ask this from you anyway."

My heart beat rose as I gazed at him, and just a look in Avantika's direction said enough to confirm all that I feared was going to unfold. She was smirking, only slightly, but it was visible if you carefully observed the way a side of her lip lifted up. Not losing my composure I asked gently, "What is it, father?"

"Parathiya has been attacked, I hope you are aware."

"I am" I nodded. Why won't he get to the point? But then again, of course he wouldn't, he never does.

"Come here my dear, sit here." He nodded towards the ivory throne few steps below his.

Anger burned hot in my body, according to the protocol, the seat of the heir was second only to the Raja and no one else, especially not the Raja's concubine who was seated a step above my throne.

I smiled as I took determined steps, but not towards the seat he gestured to but the throne on the opposite side where Avantika sat. "Rani, you will get up from my throne, won't you?"

Though my lips were turned up in a graceful smile, she must have seen the venom in my eyes because she flinched at my voice before composing herself again.

"Nayantara, she is the queen and your mother. Do not forget your limits." The anger was evident in the Raja's voice, I clearly read the underlying meaning in his words. 'You are a yurani just for namesake, and even my concubine is superior to you.'

My smile grew wider as I turned towards the Raja, "Pardon me Maharaj, but both my mother and the rightful queen of Parathiya died years ago. She took her own life, in front of my very own eyes. So you must forgive me if I do not believe your second wife to be my mother as opposed to what you call her." The anger was clearly visible on the old man's face as I spit out the words. But if I saw anger on his face, I am sure he saw rage on mine because he didn't speak a word thereafter.

'A coward will always be a coward be it on a battlefield or in the game of truth.' My grandfather always used to say that, and I think the man on the throne might just be the person these words were meant for.

"And now, Rani, if you shall excuse yourself from my throne, we shall move forward with our pleasant conversations." I smiled at her sweetly, as if I hadn't just showed her where she really stood in this world, on contrary to what she might like to believe, and it was beneath me.

Begrudgingly she stood from the throne and walked towards the one beneath mine. I smiled in satisfaction as I saw the anger and several other emotions flick through her face, she was incredibly untrained and naive, so much so that I refused to believe she was even capable to plot such sinister schemes against me on daily basis. But the sad truth was that she was indeed more than capable. Just a little or rather too oblivious to the emotions and expressions that often flashed on her face and give away her every thought and plan.

I gestured the nearby maid to come and wipe the seat clean before sitting on it. And did I enjoy the look on Avantika's face when the maid was cleaning the throne. As she grasped the message behind this, she was akin to dust and trash in my eyes, and I wouldn't even sit on a throne if it had touched someone as filthy as her. She glared into the marble floor beneath us so hard I wondered how the marble hadn't broken yet.

"What is the matter, Maharaj?" I asked shifting my attention to where the king sat, observing the exchange between his vile daughter and his concubine silently.

"After the attack from the empire, we have been sent this," He said as he passed me a Royal scroll, "It is a peace offering."
Surprise shot through my body. Peace offering? I opened the scroll calmly, or as calmly as I could and read the contents.

A pit formed in my stomach when I looked up and straight into Avantika's smiling eyes.

No. This cannot be happening.

Never.