Chapter 1: Why Would We Adopt When We Have Your Sister?

!! THIS STORY DOESN'T BELONG TO ME, IT WAS WRITTEN BY @hellgodsrus, and @Taylor_Centauri ON AO3 !!https://archiveofourown.org/users/hellgodsrus/pseuds/hellgodsrushttps://archiveofourown.org/users/Taylor_Centauri/pseuds/Taylor_Centauri

https://archiveofourown.org/works/36321841/chapters/90551983

It was a lovely morning. The curtains were closed, the morning was overcast, and after an early night, Vi was probably enjoying not needing to get up right away. Or thinking that she didn't need to get up right away.

Powder poked her.

"Mnuh."

"C'moooon." She intensified the poking. "Up and at 'em!"

"You never used to be a morning person, Pow." Vi shifted like she was about to roll over, but Pow was still sitting on the blanket next to her and knew she wouldn't. One eye half cracked open, roaming across Powder's face, likely noting the remnants of icing from the 'birthday' cake leftovers she'd eaten earlier - it wasn't actually Powder's birthday because when had that ever been a thing (Silco and her had used to celebrate her birth as 'Jinx', but she didn't want to think about that), but it was two years or close enough to the start of her rehabilitation. Vi shifted again, other eye opening blearily. "What happened to you?"

"Drugged up to the gills." Powder replied happily, and continued poking. "Getting to sleep is the hard part now." And hadn't that been true for the last two years. No matter how late it got, between the nightmares, the permanent Shimmer rush, and just - the constant need to move or do something... she more often than not was up and working on her devices or books or whatever when Vi and-or Cait came home from a late night at the office (or on the streets taking down assholes, back in the day). Never a dull moment. Couldn't let herself have them or she'd start to crumble.

"Urgh."

"C'mon, Cait's already made food and it's your turn to take me to the Academy since Cait's working on that weird case's interrogations this morning."

"It's one of the few days where I haven't had to stay up the night before dealing with assholes on either side of the river who don't know what the fuck staying calm is. Lemme enjoy being lazy, Pow."

"I guess I could violate my parole and make my way there unaccompanied..." Powder sighed dramatically, flicking her hair out of her face.

Vi sat up immediately, sending Powder rolling. "I'm up, I'm up, I'm fucking up! You're not violating your damn parole again."

At least, not officially. She broke it all the time in little ways, ways that weren't worth kicking up a fuss about because by the time anyone had realised she'd done it, it was hours later, and she clearly hadn't caused trouble. Vi and Cait didn't seem to mind - hadn't even minded back before they'd quit the Wardens - and that was... Powder liked that. That they didn't hate her for her mistakes.

"Thank you~!" She curled her grateful arms around Vi and nuzzled up to her ear. "I'm sorry. Once I'm there you can come back and sleep in again?"

"Nah, once I'm up, I'm up." Vi grunted as she stretched, cracked bones in her arms, neck. "What's the time anyway?" And here's where the fun begins.

"Half past eight, I think?" Powder grinned cheekily. "I've been poking you for a while."

"Fuck!" Vi shot up, and Powder got an unwelcome glimpse of boobs - with bruises on, gross, eww! - scrambling over to the dresser. "Ah shit - fuck - uh - we're going to have to fuckin' book it, aren't we?"