Chapter 1: What's Going on, Downtown?

3rd Person POV

Re-Destro stood at the window, gazing out to the falling rain. The grandfather clock struck noon, and he sighed heavily. After the entire battle with the full force of the heroes and All for One being free from his prison, Re-Destro wondered what would come soon. Chaos has reigned for a few days; today, he hopes that freedom will come soon. Satisfied with his thoughts, he steps away from the window and smiles at his desk. His hand slowly reached for his cooled cup of tea and stirred it carefully.

As Re-Destro lifted the cup to his lips, his office doors were pushed open without warning. Dabi chuckled with a creepy smile on his face. "Re-Destro, you're wanted."

"I'm not some dog to summon, Dabi."

"And I'm not a messenger, but I'll do what I'm told. Besides, the reasoning why they wanted you are... intriguing."

"Intriguing? How so?"

"Come see for yourself." Dabi turned around and slipped his hands into his pockets before walking down the hallway without closing the door. Re-Destro mutters some rude comments under his breath before following after him. 

With a straightened spine and his shoulders rolled back, Re-Destro began to think of reasons why he was being summoned. Whatever it could be, it could either be very good news or terrible news. The echoes of heels clicking against the marble floors and soft thunks on the carpet bounced through the empty halls. Only the heaviness of silence made way for an awkward walk to a sealed room.

Dabi pushed the doors open, revealing everyone at a grand table. At the head was All for One with Shigaraki to his right. Toga to his left. There was a space between Shigaraki and Skeptic, which Dabi pointed Re-Destro to sit as he took his spot next to Toga. The room was brightly lit as the curtains were drawn closed. A projector was aimed toward the wall next to the only door. Skeptic's laptop was connected to it.

The second everyone had settled in their seats, All for One's voice echoed throughout the empty room. "We received some news from one of your messengers, Re-Destro," he says gesturing to Skeptic. Skeptic quickly typed on his computer and a video appeared on the projector. "Something about downtown."

"Downtown?"

"A messenger was attempting to recruit a friend to the army when he was met by something unexpected. He came back bloodied and unable to speak. Whatever he saw was traumatizing." Skeptic says as he pulls up a surveillance video. "We couldn't see what happened, but we have the aftermath."

He hits play and the video begins.

The surveillance camera belonged to a convenience store and was aimed at the corner. Re-Destro leaned forward as the seconds passed with only people walking and going about their daily lives. Re-Destro almost thought they had the wrong video when a man came out of the alleyway covered in blood. His back was covered with icy shards that quickly melted in the sun. He quickly escapes off camera as something catches Re-Destro's eyes: an arm. An arm was poking out from the alleyway before disappearing under the cover of darkness.

"A villain?" Toga asked, rolling her eyes. "Or one of those guys that believes they are better without heroes? Either way, what makes it so special?"

"The people revolting against the heroes have Quirks that are dangerous to everyone around them," Dabi says as he chuckles. "So many deaths and injuries due to them taking over heroes' jobs. However, this one wasn't destructive. This person trained very well. This person had one job and one job only: stopping our messenger. The messenger said  he didn't recognize them as they wore a costume. But it doesn't match any villains or heroes."

Skeptic clears his throat, resuming his typing. "But there isn't any evidence of villains in the area. How can we be sure something is going on? Aside from his testimony and survillence footage, it could a citizen using their Meta-Ability."

"Villains or not, we need more followers." All For One chuckles as he breathes. "Re-Destro, I want you to handle this situation. You'll be held responsible."

"Yeah, and don't make it like the Shie Hassaikai." Dabi laughs as his smile grew from ear to ear. "That was truly bothersome to deal with. If it does become a Shie Hassaikai wannabe, we need to prove that they cannot betray us if they merge with us."

"Merging..." Re-Destro whispered under his breath before talking to All For One and Shigaraki. "Okay. Skeptic, what can we do?"

"Set up surveillance." He answers. "But we need to send someone to do so. But are we sure to take this risk? If it could be a situation like the Shie Hassaikai or Hawks, are we taking that risk? The heroes are licking their wounds, but we need to be prepared. They're building up their numbers soon and will hit us again."

"Which is why we need more people to the cause." All For One says.

A smile appeared on Re-Destro's face as he turns to Skeptic. He calls his name and Skeptic responds, "On it, Re-Destro!" 

*   *   *

Re-Destro and Skeptic were going through a list of potential candidates to conduct their investigations. They spent hours writing pros and cons for every potential candidate. After a long day of compiling information, they finally landed on Grey. Her Meta-Ability was turning objects into marbles. Although she can only turn small objects into marbles. She was a normal woman working a part-time job at a convenience store. After reading books about the Meta Liberation Army, she left her job and joined the cause, wanting to do something better than turning small objects into marbles.

The next day, Grey was summoned to Re-Destro to retrieve her task. Her eyes grew with pride as she stood in the same room as the former leader of the Meta Liberation Army. Her heart pounded heavily as she struggled to breathe normally. 'This was it!' She thought it was finally time for her to prove her worth.

"Grey," Re-Destro calls her name proudly with his hands behind his back. He smiled at her as he approached the woman. "It's wonderful to meet you in person."

"As I am, Re-Destro."

"I have an important task for you. Are you able to take the task?"

"I am."

Re-Destro takes her hands and holds them tightly. "Grey, I'm glad you're ready. Follow me, Grey." He leads her to Skeptic. His computer is attached to a TV with a pile of small cameras next to it. "Grey, I ask of you to go downtown wearing these cameras. We have information that someone might be there. It's a villain. To help our dream come true, we need the help of other villains. And this one can help us fight against society's wishes to hold down our Meta-Abilities."

"Do you want me to find this villain?"

"It's too dangerous for you to find them. I do not want to risk your Meta-Ability ally of mine losing her life to a villain. I want you to find evidence if there is such a villain. These cameras are to help with the investigation. I will personally contact you when it's time for you to come back home. Are you still willing to risk it all?"

Grey didn't hesitate to answer him. All she wants is the freedom to use her Meta-Ability. All she heard was that she could never do anything extinguishing with a "useless Quirk." Now, being in the Paranormal Liberation Army, her Meta-Ability defines her. Instead of using what society has labeled her superpowers, she will unconditionally support Re-Destro and the Army's beliefs.

"Yes, Re-Destro."

"Wonderful!"

Re-Destro proceeds to help Grey into her surveillance outfit, which takes several hours to implement. Skeptic ensured that all the cameras were working when Grey walked out for a test run. It'll take several days before the investigation into the strange occurrences downtown.