Chapter 17

"You told me. From Day One, you said you would protect her. You PROMISED you would protect her."

"I-"

"But you lied. Don't you dare defend yourself! You said if we helped you, you wouldn't let ANYTHING happen to her! "

"Do you honestly think nothing would have had happened anyway? In the direction you two were going, life would continue as normal? That I'd PURPOSELY do something to her?"

"I don't know anything. But I do know whatever's happening right now is because of you!"

"I didn't ask for this! You think I did this to myself?"

"I don't care whether you asked for it or not, or what you did to yourself. But whatever you should've taken upon yourself fell upon her. How much longer will you let others take the hit for your responsibility?"

"I try to protect everyone, you know."

"I do. But it's never enough. Face it- even if you never asked for it, the blame will always follow you.

                                                                                   ************

The thoughts were there- but they weren't coming from Sophie's brain.

Nor Keefe's.

Or Biana's.

Or Tam's.

They were coming from somewhere... else.

And all of a sudden, Sophie knew.

Elysian?

It's me, she clarified.

"You good there, Foster?" Keefe asked. "You're paler than Dame Alina after the Great Gulon Incident."

For once, Sophie didn't beg him to tell her what happened.

Instead, she focused on getting back to Elysian.

Where are you?

Do you really need to know?

Yes, she said.

Do you need to see me to trust me? Elysian countered. I'm the one who should be having trust issues- not you.

This isn't about trust! I practically defied the Council for you. Covered up for you. Lied a little so you'd trust ME. And you still won't tell me your real name, or how you work your ability, or even help the fact that I'm not even sure what you look like!

The outburst wasn't something Sophie normally heard from herself- but today was different.

All the risks they'd taken.

All the times they'd almost died.

And people still hid behind secrets and cover ups and lies.

She was sick and tired of it all.

But looking back at Elysian, she could hear her mental sigh. I suppose you're right, she mumbled. I probably owe you that much.

A cloaked figure stepped out of the swirling air that moment, and the deja vu feeling hit Sophie faster than the gust of air.

It would always be in her memory.

The sudden powerless feeling washing over her body.

Gisela's confused expression.

Elysian stepping out of thin air.

It was all clear in her memory.

A little more clear than she'd like it to be.