1-0

My older brother has always been protective of me, regardless of what the situation was. It was nice, though, having someone who would choose you over the world.

I always hated that he said he was my older brother, especially when we were twins. Lucius was born thirteen minutes before me, so he would brag about being older.

"Happy Birthday, Y/n!" Zinnia handed me a present as Severus stood to the side, handing Lucius a small birthday gift.

Even though we had each other, we needed time away from each other, hence Severus Snape and Alice Yaxley. Our parents made sure that we made friends with pure blood, even searching for arranged marriages.

In primary school, I had a crush on Severus, but when we hit eleven, it became painstakingly obvious that he preferred a different girl to me. I didn't know her and refused to talk about her to any of us.

We were attempting small talk in the garden when our father called us into the study. Of course, we moved immediately.

"Yes, father?" Lucius responded, standing in attention for whatever Father asked of us.

"Come, sit." Mother searched through letters, plucking some out and tossing them into the fireplace.

I looked at Mother, who had a striking resemblance to her son. I was always jealous of their platinum blonde hair, even when I had father's h/c hair. He even had her fair, pale skin when I had father's s/c. I was just fortunate enough to get her eyes, even though Lucius had those hollow icy blues.

"Since it's your eleventh birthday, you must choose what boarding school you'll go to." Father never looked up from his paper.

Mother handed you three options while Lucius had five, "These schools are up to par. Choose, and we'll have the elves take you to gather supplies."

Her eyes looked at us as we skimmed through the acceptance letters.

'Beaxbaton, Hogwarts, Almanachy Academia... the only one that's not an all-girls school is Hogwarts... I can't leave Lucius...'

You handed Mother the Hogwarts letter, her pushing her reading glasses on her face, "Acceptable. Now, you."

Lucius handed her a pamphlet, "Both of you have to be twins to choose Hogwarts on your own... are you sure?"

You nodded, not saying a word, "Alright then, let's send you with the house elves to gather your items."

Father glanced at Mother before nodding, "You're dismissed."

We stood up silently before returning to our tea time outside with our friends. When we left, I could faintly hear a conversation through the large dark oak double doors.

I lingered for a moment, hoping to hear more before Lucius gently tugged on my hand, "You know better."

He always kept me out of trouble, even when he would risk his own neck to save me.

I sat outside, embracing the warmth from the sun on my skin when I felt something tug the hem of my skirt.

I glanced down, seeing a small house elf, "Lottie, you can't be out here."

My house elf nodded and whispered, "Lottie wanted to give Miss N/n her birthday gift."

I smiled, accepting the book that was tied with a ribbon, a small note attached, "Lottie, your hands."

I grasped her hands before she pulled them back, "Miss N/n should not worry about Lottie, Lottie must go to the kitchen. Lottie will see Miss N/n at supper time and again at bedtime."

She smiled, "Miss N/n must not forget Lottie is her personal elf."

With that, she disappeared, most likely back to her post, "Y/n."

He called my attention back to the small party, "Tomorrow we are going to get our supplies, be ready by 8 sharp."

I nodded, looking back at Zinnia as she explained the premise of the last book she read. I sighed, trying not to show my boredom out on my face.

-.-

The streets were cold, making me grateful for the sweater I had gotten for my birthday, "Lucius..." He didn't look at you, waiting for me to respond, "Olivander's is the first shop on the list... it asks for wands."

He held his hand out, waiting for me to hand him the supply list before he responded, "wands? Very well then."

Lucius walked in first, his house elf, Mobble, opened the door, "Well, good morning young ones!"

A voice boomed from the back and a young man walked out with a smile, "Welcome to my shop! I assume you two are in need of a wand?"

Lucius nodded, never losing face, "Yes."

He stood there, looking at two eleven-year-olds who looked as glum as can be, "Well, then let's start with you, young man."

He smiled, motioning for him to walk forward, "We should start with a 9" Bridlewood with phoenix core, slightly bendy... try."

Lucius waved the wand and the lights started to flicker, making a high-pitched noise, "So, not that one, alright."

He put it back in the box, pulling out another wand, "A 13" Oakward with Unicorn core."

Olivander watched Lucius wave the wand again, papers and boxes flew off of the shelves, "Alright, then."

He packed it back and handed him another wand, "She is an 18" Elm with Dragon Heartstring."

When he swished the wand, a blue light appeared from the wand, and he stared at it in satisfaction. Olivander smiled, clasping his hands together, "That's wonderful! Now, for you little lady, I had a few I think would work well for you."

He came out with several boxes, "Now, this first one is a 8" Mahogany..." One of the boxes in his hands started to rattle, "Or... let's start with him."

He set down the boxes and opened the one that was shaking, "13" Cherry Wood, slightly flexible, with a phoenix core."

He handed me the wand and I swished it, seeing a gorgeous shimmery light fall from the wand, "absolutely gorgeous."

He smiled at my words, the house elf paid for our wands, and we walked out, and I accidentally bumping into someone who was on his way in.

"I apologize, I didn't mean to hit you." He locked eyes with me, almost as if he saw something in them at that moment.

"Don't be, I was impatient. Please," He moved out of the way, "continue... I hope I see you around."

His smile changed my world, I had never seen something so bright and vibrant.

And I knew then that all I wanted was to be like that.

-.-

Status: Unedited

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me for more!