22. United States (Las Vegas)

Practice 1

Practice 1

The opening practice session for the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix weekend was brought to an early end after the red flags were thrown following a stoppage for Carlos Sainz.

Less than 10 minutes into the hour, Sainz stopped out on track at the Las Vegas Strip Circuit. Onboard footage showed a message reading 'Stop the Car' had appeared on the Spaniard's dashboard.

While the marshals worked to remove the stricken Ferrari, the clock continued to tick down. But it was then announced that the session would not be resumed, with the FIA confirming that they were looking at an issue with a drain cover on the track.

Sainz's team mate, Charles Leclerc, had provisionally set the fastest time before the stoppage with a lap of 1m 40.909s.

Nico Hulkenberg had ended up in second, with Kevin Magnussen placing third and Max Verstappen following in fourth as the drivers gained their first experience of the new 6.201km track.

Esteban Ocon claimed fifth, although Alpine confirmed following FP1 that the Frenchman would undergo a chassis change due to damage from a suspected drain cover on track.

Esteban Ocon claimed fifth, although Alpine confirmed following FP1  that the Frenchman would undergo a chassis change due to damage from a  suspected drain cover on track

Practice 2

Charles Leclerc set the pace from Ferrari team mate Carlos Sainz and Aston Martin rival Fernando Alonso during a busy extended second practice session for the Las Vegas Grand Prix that ran through the early hours of Friday morning.

After , a host of lock-ups and off-track excursions filled the opening minutes of the delayed FP2 as drivers built up speed around the 6.201-kilometre, 17-turn Las Vegas Strip Circuit and got used to its characteristics.

Such has been the way for most of the 2023 season, Verstappen got straight down to business and led the early running with a time of 1m 38.209s on Pirelli's medium compound tyre, slotting ahead of the Ferraris and Alex Albon's Williams.

With a range of run plans being carried out across the extended 90-minute session, Verstappen squeezed his way past Leclerc down the back straight and into the tight Turn 14, 15 and 16 sequence around a third of the way into proceedings, prompting the latter to joke over the radio that "Max is racing already"