Chapter 24 : Social Check

For the rest of the day Chloe couldn't focus on work. Her mind kept thinking how to handle this Wandinha girl. Gangsters are dangerous, and the last thing she wanted was to put her friends at risk.

By end of work she received a phone call, from another gangster.

"Hey! Are you free tonight? Someone has a task that wants to sell." Kalani's voice came from the other side.

"Sorry, I'm a bit occupied." Chloe hesitated.

"Too bad! It's a cakewalk. Better next time!" Kalani was about to hang up.

"Kalani! Wait!"

"What?"

"Are you familiar with the name Aldama?"

"Brazilian, do money laundering for most of the mobs there. Hell, even Don Alberto hired them from time to time. Why?"

"Are they dangerous?"

It took a moment for Kalani to gather an answer, the waiting made Chloe anxious.

"All mobs are dangerous, Chloe. The Aldama family has been cooking books for generations, but when their last president claimed to wipe out corruption, the family moved their business to the US. They are well connected, with an army of lawyers. If you ever wanna cheat tax, they're the ones to turn to."

"I don't want to cheat tax. I'm still under minimum income." Chloe answered for no reason. "You said they're a family?"

"Two brothers, Anton and Carlos. Anton died of cancer few years back, or so they say. Now Carlos is running the show. Legend says he killed his brother to get on top."

"Younger brother takes the throne, just like the Lion King."

"And Richard the Third, and Hamlet, and..."

"I get it." Chloe cut in, siblings killing for the throne have been known throughout history. "Do they have any children? Anton or Carlos."

"None that we heard of. These people pride themselves on families, any offspring would be well known by now."

"Then who is she?" Chloe thought out loud.

"Who is who?"

Chloe explained the unexpected visitor at the studio, the dance battle and invitation.

"They hire all sorts of people to do their dirty work. It is why their business remains legit." Kalani could feel Chloe's concern. "May I ask what you are going to do?"

"I have to go. I don't want to bring trouble to the studio."

"Putting others before you, always the Chloe I know." Kalani approved. "Will you be needing backup?"

"Let's just see where this takes me." Chloe bit her lip.