Chapter Three: The Monster Within

Valenus's eyes twitched momentarily before snapping open. He gasped for air, his breaths coming in heavy.

Disoriented, he hoisted himself up, surveying his surroundings with a mix of confusion and dread.

Valenus found himself in a cell, its perimeter defined by crude wooden planks serving as bars.

The floor beneath him was hard, the cold mud seeping a chill into his bones.

A damp, musty odor filled the air, adding to the grim ambiance.

As Valenus' eyes adjusted to the dim light, Valenus noticed he wasn't alone.

In one corner lay a man with a bald head, his attire in tatters—his bottom frayed and ripped, coupled with a faded, torn T-shirt.

The man used a rock as a makeshift pillow, evidently trying to sleep.

Another figure sat upright across from him, a hood shrouding their head, seemingly fast asleep with their gaze fixed on the ground.

Pushing himself to his feet, Valenus approached the wooden bars.

He examined each plank meticulously, searching for any sign of weakness, any opportunity that might lead to escape.

Valenus fingers probed the wood, testing for looseness or decay, his mind racing with thoughts of freedom.

As Valenus maneuvered around the cell, he felt the hooded figure's gaze tracking him intently.

A subtle smirk formed under the shadow of the hood.

Every time Valenus kicked against the wooden planks, the bald man, disturbed by the noise, grumbled quietly to himself.

Despite the complaints, Valenus persisted. He shoved and crashed against the wooden gate, determined to break free.

Suddenly, the bald man had enough. He stood up abruptly, shouting, "That's enough!"

His anger was evident as he pulled out a dagger, his glare fixed on Valenus.

Just as the situation became more threatening, something unexpected happened.

A small, bright light appeared, catching Valenus's attention.

Bald man froze briefly and then grunted and then lied back in muddy ground attempt to go asleep.

Valenus's let a big breath as he turned to look at the hooded person who staring back at him.

Valenus lowered himself to the ground, sitting with his back against the wooden planks of the cell.

He stared at the hooded stranger who laughed and revealed herself.

Her long, bright violet-red hair flowed out as she lifted her hood, her pale face contrasting with her rosy lips and stern blue eyes stared back at Valenus.

"What are you staring at?" the woman snapped.

Valenus, feeling uneasy, replied, "I am sorry, I didn't expect you to be a woman."

The woman rolled her eyes, then asked, "You are not from around here, are you?"

Valenus shook his head, asking, "Where are we? How can I get out of this prison and return to the real world?"

"Real world?" she shouted. "What do you mean by 'real world'?"

She explained, "I suppose you're from Earth, and you were brought here because the game chose you."

Valenus's eyes widened. "How did you know? Where am I? Do you know how I can get home?"

She smiled and said, "This world, or the entity you call a game, chooses when you can return home and when you come back here again."