Chapter 2: No Introductions Needed

Unlike the smokey exterior of Ava's apartment, the inside was exceptionally cozy. Sienna observed the flares of character her mother splashed around the flat while she prepared a warm drink in the kitchen. An elaborately designed dispenser on the counter chugged softly as it spat into a cup her mother was holding.

"It amazes me that you made all this." Sienna said, breaking the silence, sitting in a recliner that hugged the corner of the walls. Just to her right was a metallic fireplace that popped on the special occasion wood would settle.

"Oh, the apartment? It's nothing, honestly." Ava humbly deflected.

"No. I meant the game, Mom." Sienna pressed.

Her mother briefly paused. "Well, It's the perks of being a lead designer for a live service game. I have to be on duty more than you'd expect." She told her daughter.

Ava exited the kitchen carrying two mugs that trailed steam as she made her way into the living space with Sienna.

"And that's why you're usually so busy?" Her daughter interrogated.

Ava nodded, handing her daughter one of the mugs before making herself comfortable on the couch adjacent to Sienna.

She looked into it. Marshmallows swam above the surface of a warm brown liquid. Sienna assumed it was hot chocolate.

"What do you usually do in this game? I see people tend to live in it."

"It's a mixture of that, and balancing."

"Balancing?"

"Yep." Ava said, tucking her legs in close to her as she gingerly sipped from the mug in her hands.

Sienna waited for her mother to continue, taking a sip herself. She was pleasantly surprised that it even had a taste.

"The combat, drop rates, economy. The game is a breathing entity with the people that keep it alive." Ava continued. "And I manage all of it with a team."

"The combat. Is there a way to watch it?" Sienna eagerly asked.

"Oh, that's what you're interested in?" Ava said with her eyebrows perking upwards.

"Not quite, No. I just got bored with my studies, and was missing my mother."

"So you have a multitude of reasons. Is this your ADD?" Her mother joked.

"I suppose." Sienna said with a smile that crept on her lips. "The combat did look fun though."

"Do you know what The Gauntlet is?"

"The what?"

"Right. Despite being my daughter, you don't have any inkling about my work." Ava said, teasing her daughter once more.
"I'm here now, aren't I?"

"That is true." Ava acknowledged. "Well, whaddya say? We'll watch a few matches and I'll teach you a few things."

"Is that what that is? An arena?" Sienna questioned.

Ava nodded. "Kinda."

"After this cup of hot chocolate. I can't let something this good go cold." Sienna refused, chuckling to herself.

That humored her mother quite a bit, because Ava smiled with her.

The brief hour they spent talking helped clear Sienna's mind. She missed her mother's presence. She just wished now that her father was a little more reachable.

After she finished her hot chocolate, Sienna's mother offered her an outfit to spice up her appearance. Observing herself in the mirror, she wore a brown fanciful trench coat with iron breast plating beneath it, and heavy pauldrons that clinked ever so slightly as she moved. The pants were snug with silvery knee guards strapped around her legs, and the boots had an incredibly soft interior. Beginning to question if she was still in a game, she experimented with her sense of touch a little more, rubbing her fingers together. Taste, smell, touch, hearing, sight. She felt much more in tune with her own body than she ever had before, now that she paid a little more attention.

"Why do I feel like this?" Sienna said, asking her mother who was washing out the mugs in the sink.

"Feel like what?" she flatly answered.

"Everything feels-" She paused. "Different. Like every one of my senses are boosted." she added, rubbing her fingertips together as if to confirm her suspicions.

"There's a good reason for that." Ava said, setting the mugs aside to drain. "You're an Officer of Terrantos."

Sienna raised an eyebrow in confusion, expecting an explanation.

"'Officer' has a mystical connotation to it. Your role in this game is to uphold peace in the continent of Terrantos, and maybe the world of Arcadia." Ava told Sienna, softly leaning on the counter. "It could be through a multitude of things. Protecting the environment and promoting the natural order of life, Preventing warfare, Spreading the faith of Solaris and the goodwill of humanity-"

"Too much exposition, mother." Sienna interrupted.

"Right. Basically, You're superhuman. Or superarcadian. Semantics."

Sienna nodded in approval, still fiddling with her fingers. She supposed that was a unique plus. She could understand a little more why people were so interested in this game.

"The Gauntlet is hosting matches soon. Are you still interested in seeing people beat eachother up?" Ava inquired, balling her fists as if to mimic a fight. "I usually spend my time alone taking notes of bugs and broken mechanics. It would liven up with my daughter's presence."

Sienna broke a smile at the silliness of her mother. "If it'll make you happy, sure. I don't mind."

Ava playfully fistpumped.

Preparing to leave, Ava slid the hood hanging from her back over her head. Sienna noticed this but it didn't surprise her. Her mother was usually reserved, much like she was out in public. They then left the home, venturing deeper into Asnea's center. Sienna almost felt fatigued by the vastness of the city. It was so large in fact, it had been nearly 20 minutes of walking before the scenery began to change as they supposedly reached the center her mother mentioned during their walk.

They soon approached a silvery structure bearing a symbol that just about resembled the appearance of a sun. At ground level, bodies were swamping the entrance like ants as the air buzzed with shouts of excitement. Both of them waited awkwardly for the crowd to sprinkle between the doors before entering. The shouts were deafening to Sienna, but her mother acted accustomed to it. Walls on both their sides carried the people above them, slanting towards short walls that bordered the arena and the spectators' stands. Pathways between the seats and the stadium forked around and met each other again.