Chapter 6: Mother Knows Best...

"Wait a minute, what the-" I started. Rapunzel was honestly surprising me. First her hair can glow, now it can heal? No way.

"Yep...haha, my hair can heal people too. Mother says that people want to use me for it."

I thought for a moment. "Well, she's not wrong, I guess. People are harsh these days."

"I'm glad you're my friend."

"What..?" That statement totally caught me off guard. I felt my cheeks getting warm again, just like back at The Snuggly Duckling.
I tried to hide it, but I didn't know if I was doing a good job at it.

"I'm glad you're my friend." Rapunzel repeated. "I mean, you've brought me this far, and you've been protecting me this whole time. You're the nicest person I've ever met. I mean, not like I've met other people, but, uhm- you get the idea."

"Oh...I uh- thanks.. It's nothing, really. I'm...gonna go get some more fire wood. Stay here." I was desperate to leave the situation before I became a blushing mess. I don't know why that comment made me so...flustered.

Once I left, somehow, Gothel had followed us, and tried to talk to Rapunzel.

"Mother..? How did you find us?"

Gothel scowled. "Oh, I just followed the trail of bitter betrayal."

"Oh, but, Mother, I've met this wonderful girl, and I think she's starting to like me!"

"Likes you? Now Rapunzel, come on now really."
"Look at you, you think that she's impressed?"
"Don't be a dummy, come with mummy."
"Mother...-"

"No!"

"No? Oh..."
"I see how it is..."

"Rapunzel knows best,"
"Rapunzel's so mature now."
"Such a clever 'grown-up' Miss."
"Rapunzel knows best,"
"Fine, if you're so sure now,"
"Go and help her out with this!"

Gothel held up a wanted poster for Rider.

"This is why she's here!"
"Don't let her deceive you!"
"Help her, and watch, you'll see!"
"Trust me my dear, that's how fast she'll leave you,"
"I won't say I told you so!"

"No! Rapunzel knows best!"
"So if she's such a dreamboat,"
"Go and put her to the test!"

"If she's lying,"
"Don't come crying!"
"Mother knows best!"

Gothel then disappeared, and left Rapunzel looking quite shaken as she held the wanted poster.

I came back with some firewood after getting my thoughts together. I noticed her frightened expression, and I sat the wood down.

"You ok, Raps?"

I seemed to have snapped her out of her thoughts, and she dropped the poster. "Huh? Oh, yeah, yeah, I'm fine.."

"You sure?" I asked, sitting down on the log next to her.

"Yep. I'm fine, really!"

"Ok, if you say so. I think we should head to sleep now. We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

"Oh, yeah, right, the lanterns!" Me and Rapunzel laid on the grass. I faced the fire, and she faced the woods.

Well, guess I better get to sleep. We really do have a long day ahead...