You win some you lose some

.....................................................................................................................................

Disclaimer: I do not own Charlotte, the characters, or any pictures or artwork, they belong to their respective owners.

.....................................................................................................................................

Beijing, China

The city was enveloped in darkness, with the only sources of light coming from the numerous buildings. It was a peaceful night, with people sleeping or working, each with their own troubles and trials, that is life's journey.

Yuu Otosaka, disguised in a newly procured black coat with a hoodie covering his dark brown hair and eyes, a rolled-up sleeve, a red undershirt, blue pants, and black boots, was perched atop a building overlooking the city. His eyes were glowing eerily green, as he scanned around using the ability "night vision", one of the many abilities he had plundered over the course of the past year.  

Abilities are...... one of the many mysteries that exist on this planet. They are supernatural powers that are used by certain people and allow them to perform wonderous marvels, from something simple such as improving athletic performance to teleportation. 

Now how do these abilities differ from magic from fairy tales?

There are a number of reasons why they are different from those of other supernatural-related abilities that come from made-up fictional stories.

A voice, ethereal and hauntingly familiar, wove through the labyrinth of Yuu's thoughts, its echoes shaping words of caution and revelation. "Abilities," it murmured, a whisper in the vastness of his mind, "are flawed by design—imperfect creations, fragments perhaps torn from a larger whole. These fragments are awkward, unwieldy, their use marred by difficulty, or in dire instances, utterly futile."

The voice deepened, a solemn current beneath its initial tranquility. "These abilities are only temporary, meaning that once an adolescent reaches adulthood the ability ceases to exist. erased as they were never there in the first place. If an ability is overused or continually used, consequences will occur such as extreme exhaustion or even death."

It paused, allowing the gravity of its words to settle like dust in the corners of Yuu's consciousness. "This is why these abilities are considered a "sickness", a disease affecting humanity as no ability comes without its curse, without the shadow of consequence lurking behind its allure." 

 The voice receded as it disappeared back into the recess of his mind. Yuu grappled with its familiarity. It tugged at the edges of recognition, yet its origin danced just beyond his grasp. With a determined effort, he shoved the unsettling thoughts aside, focusing on the pressing weight of the present.

 Yuu's thoughts sharpened as he prepared to leap from the building. "As they say, the greater the power, the higher the consequences of said power," he muttered to himself, a solemn reminder of the weight he carried. With resolve hardening in his heart, Yuu propelled himself into the night, his final target already in sight, thanks to "night vision".

Yuu possesses an ability that allows him to steal other people's abilities relieving them of their sufferings, he vowed to save those like himself who carry a similar sickness thus choosing to carry the burdens of the world on his shoulders because of a promise with a loved one that started his resolve in the first place.