I.

A note from the author:

Woah, hi! I haven't written a story or updated anything in over 8 months. I apologize if this story is all over the place. I've recently decided to try and get back into my writing to see how far I've come. But I'll allow you to read now, enough from me! Enjoy!

Hi, I'm seventeen years old, and a sophomore in high school. I have really amazing grades, I'm on the Superintendent's Honor Roll, and at the top of my class. I met a boy freshman year; his name is Gabriel. He's funny, kind, very intelligent, and nerdy like I am. We get along really well, sometimes too well, people at school are convinced that we're dating. What don't they know? He's not into girls, but boys.

Today is Gabriel and I's friendiversary, we've been best friends for a year now. I bought him purple fuzzy socks, a six pack of sixteen-ounce Mountain Dew, some share-size packages of M&M's, and a little painting of him and his celebrity crush. Harry Styles. So cliche. But I love him. My parents are away on a trip to Prague, I would have gone but I can't take off two weeks of school for some stupid trip.

I texted my mother as soon as I got dressed and on the road. I text AND drive, yes but I haven't had a car accident yet, so until then... I texted Gabriel that I was on my way to go pick him up from his house and to be ready. I showed up to his driveway after twenty minutes. He brought along with his backpack, like five gift bags, two of them were big. He set them in my backseat with the presents I got for him.

We drove to Starbucks and got our usuals. I also picked up McDonald's for my friend, Jacob. He gets the same thing, a sausage burrito with eggs and two hashbrowns, and his caramel frappe with extra caramel and crushed Oreos. Yeah, a DUDE, wanted this. I got his food and drove to high school, letting my parents know that I made it.

Jacob came over to my car and sat behind me.

"Hey Claire Bear, what are in the bags?" said Jacob. I looked at him in my rearview mirror, "Can you hand them to Gabe? They're his." He grabbed my bags and gave them to Gabriel, and he opened them. "No way, no way! FUZZY SOCKS?! I literally LOVE you, Claire Faye!" I'd giggle, and he'd lean over the center console, and hug me, choking me as his arms are around my neck. I'd smile, "Okay, I also got you Mountain Dew, your favorite, and M&M's, also your favorite. I hope you like the painting." He would pull the painting out and I'd look in the backseat at Jacob, he had a big grin on his face.

All of a sudden, I'd hear a loud shriek, "NO WAY CLAIRE! YOU PAINTED THIS?" I'd laugh, "Yes, it took me a few days." He'd hug me once again, "Okay hand her the five bags that are from me." I'd be handed all five bags at once, and I'd open the biggest. It's the PS5 that I've wanted forever, with some games. I'd smile really wide, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" He'd nod, "You're my bestie, of course." I'd open the next one, and it's one of those huge teddy bears that you've probably only seen on TikTok or something...

After I open all of my gifts, the first bell rings for class, so we get out of my vehicle, and Gabriel walks ahead of Jacob and me. Leaving us two alone, like he usually does, knowing how I feel about Jacob. Jacob and I, we've always been close, no matter what happened between us in the past.

"So, what are you doing after school, Claire Bear?" he asks. I look over at him, and a strand of his dirty blonde hair lays on his forehead across his eyebrow, "Work most likely. Luke has me working doubles for the next while, we're very shorthanded. But he's got a new hire coming in today, so I may just be training him, or her." He'd nod, "And you're a waitress there at Luke's Place..." I'd nod, and we'd be in front of my locker.

He would nudge at the sticker about to fall off, "I may just stop by, if that's okay with you." I'd laugh, "As long as you plan on eating, and tip us really good. I make minimum wage and keep tips so..." He'd nod, kissing my forehead, "Oh sorry, uhm. I'll see you later Claire Bear." He'd walk off, and I'd feel my face get very hot. I'd feel hot breath on the back of my neck, "Oh gee! He kissed your forehead!" Gabriel. I'd turn around fast and look at him, "Shut it. He... totally did. Am I red? I feel hot. Do I feel hot?"

I'd look down the hallway, watching Jacob walk into his homeroom class, and I'd lean back against my locker. "Do you think he would go for me?" I ask Gabriel. "Girl, he would be crazy not to. I mean, he kissed your forehead, that's got to mean something," he replies. I turn and struggle to open my locker door, Gabriel laughs at me for struggling, so I punch him in the gut and he speeds away to class. The second bell rings, and I quickly rush to open my locker, "Stupid lock. Come on!"

------

School was a bust after that. Jacob ended up going home early after his morning breakfast didn't set well in his stomach. I drove home and got ready for my shift at Luke's and drove myself to work. I parked in my usual spot and decided to go in early to meet the new hire. I take my stuff inside, opening my locker with my name on it, and the locker isn't hard to open like the one at school.

I hear a voice from the distance, and I go to the voice, it's Luke instructing the new hire. "Hey, I'm here early," I say to Luke. "Oh hey. Meet Paul, you'll be training him tonight, and I'll pay you extra, alright?" I'd nod as I shake Paul's hand, "Nice to meet you, Paul. I'm Claire." I'd show him around the restaurant, and I'd clock in, showing him how to clock in as well. 

Around nine, the dinner rush would be dying down, Paul and I had grown closer, learning more about each other, getting along really well. He's pretty easy to train. We would start to clean up around our areas, and eventually we would close. Paul and I would get our stuff, "So my older brother, Carlos is on his way, I'd like you to meet him, if you're okay to stick around for a little bit?" 

I'd sit outside on the steps, "Oh yeah, it's okay." We would sit down and start talking when I start to hear faint grunts and yells in the side alley, trying to focus on Paul's voice. Paul would make eye contact with me, "Are you okay?" I'd look at him with a confused look on my face, "You can't hear that?" He would go quiet, and I would hear a huge thud, following by the sound of a blade clearly falling to the ground, scraping the concrete.

Paul would stand up, looking at me, "Listen to me, okay?" I'd look at him, "What the hell was that? We should..." He would put his hands on my shoulders, "No, don't. Carlos, he'll protect us, be quiet..." 

My life after tonight would never be the same. My life would change forever.