Chapter Twelve

"God, I feel like everyone is staring at me."

CJ's eyes frantically scanned Luke's Diner, his leg shaking wildly beneath the table. Customers chatted away at their tables, but CJ could swear he could feel their eyes on him when he looked away. His mom sat across from him, sending him a sympathetic look with a small frown.

"You're fine, Ceej, no one is staring," his mom promised him earnestly.

He sent her a blank, disapproving look. "Have you seen my face today?" A sharp throb pained his nose at the reminder. "I think I'm single-handedly keeping the ice pack industry in business."

Lorelai smiled. "Well, at least purple is a good color on you."

He let out a chuckle, ignoring another flare of sharp pain shooting through his nose. "It goes well with my eyes," he agreed.

"Definitely."

There was a beat of silence as Lorelai pursed her lips, deep in thought, glancing out the window behind her son. CJ watched as she opened her mouth as if to say something but stopped herself, leaving it open awkwardly before snapping it shut with furrowed brows.

His eyes narrowed at her in suspicion. "What's wrong?" He asked abruptly, quirking an eyebrow at her. He took a deep gulp of his coffee, the steaming liquid warming his hands as he cupped his mug.

"There's nothing wrong. . ." Mom insisted, clearly choosing her words carefully. "I was just wondering if you've talked to your sister recently. . ."

"Why?"

Lorelai shrugged, taking a casual sip of her mug. "No reason, just curious."

"We haven't exactly made up yet, if that's what you're wondering." He actually wasn't sure where he stood with his twin. He hadn't seen her much last night, and she'd left to volunteer early this morning. He glanced out the window behind him, watching as Rory talked animatedly with Lane about something at their table across the street. The pair were dressed as pilgrims, funny-looking bonnets tied around their heads and all, and CJ would've teased her relentlessly about the outfit on a normal day. As the girls dissolved into a fit of giggles, CJ watched on with tightened lips.

"Oh, uh, good to know. But, actually, I was wondering if your sister has mentioned Dean. . ." Lorelai trailed off, eyeing CJ expectantly.

"Like, ever?" CJ shot back, his lips quirking into an amused smile.

Lorelai chuckled nervously, her eyes darting around the diner as if searching for an escape route. "Well, yeah, you know, in passing or something," she replied vaguely, avoiding CJ's probing gaze.

CJ raised an eyebrow, his amusement growing. "Mom, what's going on? What's with the terrible interrogation?"

Lorelai sighed. "Okay, fine, you caught me," she admitted, leaning in closer over the table. "Rory and Dean kissed in Doose's," she revealed, dramatically.

CJ stared at her. "Okay. . .?"

Her face fell. "You're not surprised by this?"

He blinked, processing his mom's revelation. "Surprised? Why would I be surprised?" he asked, genuine confusion coloring his tone.

Lorelai's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "Uh, because it's Rory? And kissing? And a boy?" she exclaimed, as if stating the obvious.

CJ chuckled, shaking his head. "Mom, Rory's not a nun. Besides, you knew she and Dean were . . . hanging out."

"Yes, but I didn't expect her to have her first kiss and then not tell me about it," She huffed, shaking her head.

"Oohh, so that's what this is about," CJ realized with a wise nod.