12:00 in the morning. Diluc awoke with a gasp.

He'd fallen asleep in his day clothes, over the covers of his bed surrounded by mixture of his job's work and schoolwork. He must have dozed without realizing, between having a profession and being in college fulltime he was really burning himself out in the recent days.

He wasn't sure how long he was out for, not that it mattered; his sleep was anything but pleasant. And now, overwhelmed with the hours he'd missed to work he was beginning to feel a burning ache in his chest. That burning began to prick at his eyes, filling them with water.

No, don't cry, his thoughts whispered. You have nothing to cry about. Relax.

But he can't. Normally he can, in fact he was quite good at anything that had to do with burying his emotions. But he couldn't get his shovel into the ground, and the rain was already falling.

~

Zhongli had gotten out of bed to make himself a cup of tea. He'd been reading rather than sleeping and thought it was time he'd take himself to bed.

As he entered the hallway he turned to go to the staircase, when he paused at the sound of crying. It was coming from Diluc's room.

Strange, Diluc hardly ever cries..

The brunette quickened his pace and entered the room, only to find the redhead sat on the bed, balled fists desperately trying to stop the tears from falling. His sweet angel.

Zhongli rushed to the bed, sitting close to Diluc and carefully pulling his hands away from his face, clasping them with his own. "My love, what's the matter?" Zhongli whispers, tilting his head to try and look at Diluc- who was looking away.

"Nothing." The redhead hiccuped, trying to control the small gasps that bubbled in his chest. "I'm fi-ine."

"Diluc." Zhongli's tone became a bit firm, though by no means harsh. He kept his gentle composure. "You know the rules, tell me what's wrong dear."

Diluc contemplated this. He knew he was always supposed to tell Zhongli what was wrong. It was a rule he broke the most, and he could very well break it again, but he didn't have the energy to withstand a consequence.

"I f-fell asleep when I was supposed to be working-" He started shakily, silent tears rolling down his flushed cheeks. "-And I h-had a bad dream."

Zhongli by now was collecting Diluc onto his lap, shifting so his back was against the headboard and Diluc was resting against him. He loosened the redhead's ponytail, carding his fingers through the messy curls in an attempt to soothe him. "It's alright, darling, it's okay." He hushed the soft cries. "You're okay. I'm very sorry you had a bad dream, that's not very fun is it? You didn't do anything wrong by having a little nap."

Diluc was soothed to quiet sniffles, warm cheek pressed against the comforting fabric of Zhongli's shirt. "..didn't?.." He mumbled, really asking if Zhongli was being truthful when he said he did nothing wrong.

"Of course you didn't, why would you? Sweethearts need their rest too, and by the looks of it a certain one has been very sleepy." Zhongli lifted Diluc's head gently so their eyes would meet. "Can you tell me why that is?"

"Because I overwork myself." The redhead mumbled, ruby eyes glancing to the side almost shamefully.

"That's right. Eyes on me." Hummed the other. "No more of that, understand? I'll soothe you back to sleep once your clothes are changed, and you'll be having the day off later."

Diluc's eyebrows upturned. "But-" His voice was weak as he tried to argue, but he couldn't find the words. He didn't have a choice.

"Hush darling. Sit up, I'll pick out your night time clothes. We'll run you a bath in the morning."

Diluc sat patiently on the bed, watching his beloved man rustle through the dresser for a change of clothes. His hands folded neatly in his lap, sometimes he'd swing his legs a bit.

~

Placed in a soft set of pajamas, hair brushed and face washed, Diluc was nestled against Zhongli's chest, listening as the older man told tales as old as time. His eyes would slip closed until finally they sealed, sleep overcoming his angelic being.

Thus the night came to a delicate close.

~

hello! i hope you're all liking this story so far, im not all sure what to say other than i hope i can be consistent with uploads i miss writing ^w^ pretty please comment requests!