𝟬𝟯𝟯

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟯𝟯
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩

———

A KNOCK ECHOED through Maeve's room, causing her to startle from her musings. Leah sauntered in, an air of familiarity about her as she casually strolled over and made herself at home on Maeve's bed. Maeve shot her friend a quizzical glance, unable to suppress her curiosity.

"How did you—" Maeve began to question, only to be interrupted by Leah's nonchalant response. "I have a room key," she stated matter-of-factly, flipping through the sheets of music scattered across the bed.

"Somebody's feeling inspired," Leah remarked, her eyes scanning the lyrics. "Inspired to write a breakup song," she added with a hint of amusement.

Maeve's patience wore thin as Leah continued to pry into her personal space. "What do you want, Leah?" she snapped, her tone betraying her irritation.

Leah offered her a smile, undeterred by Maeve's brusqueness. "While you've been holed up in here with your music, England has managed to top their group," she informed her friend, her excitement palpable.

Maeve shrugged indifferently, unimpressed by the news. "Okay. Come back to me when they win the entire competition," she retorted dismissively.

Leah gasped, taken aback by Maeve's lack of enthusiasm. "Don't be rude, Maeve! We're going out!" she exclaimed, determined to lift her friend's spirits.

But Maeve remained unmoved, her resolve unshaken. "You can all go out. I'm not. I would rather continue to rot in my hotel room with my music and maybe some room service," she declared stubbornly.

Leah crossed her arms, her expression resolute. "Maeve Jane Mount, you are going to move your stubborn self out of this room, and get ready, because we are going to have a fantastic night," she insisted, her tone brooking no argument.

Maeve didn't bother to protest any further, resigned to the fact that Leah wasn't going to take no for an answer.

Maeve reluctantly got ready despite her lack of enthusiasm for the evening outing. Leah left to prepare herself, promising a swift return. True to her word, Leah reappeared sooner than Maeve would have preferred, dressed to the nines with an infectious smile.

"Ready?" Leah chirped, her excitement palpable.

Maeve shook her head, her reluctance evident. "Let's just go," she conceded, resigned to the inevitable.

The two girls hailed a taxi to take them to the restaurant, the vibrant streets of Doha bathed in the warm hues of the setting sun. As they navigated through the bustling city, Maeve couldn't help but inquire about the evening's attendees.

"Who all is going to be here?" she asked, seeking some semblance of preparation.

Leah's smile widened. "Everyone, I think. So be nice," she admonished gently.

Maeve's heart sank at Leah's confirmation. "Is he going to be here?" she queried, her voice tinged with apprehension, referring to Phil, of course.