Two Boos (11)

"I cannot believe I let that cultist talk me into this," Prince Mario huffed as soon as he, Peach, and Bleck returned to the top of Flopside tower, the heroine carrying another Chaos Heart fragment, this one glowing a deep, dark golden color. The now trio had just gotten back from a journey through the second dimensional doorway and into a world that primarily consisted of an old mansion, which seemed to be run by a big, burly, muscular man with a fine taste in vases. The journey involved a lot of complaining from the prince's end, as he didn't have the correct footwear required for such long journeys, nor did he have the stamina.

"It wouldn't be nearly as terrible if you didn't break that vase," Bleck breathed. "Did you have to break that specific one?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," Prince Mario hissed. "Next time, I'll use my psychic skills to know ahead of time which vases are his favorite so I can stay clear of them."

"How about next time we all just be careful and warn each other when we're about to stumble into potentially expensive items," Peach laughed, placing a gentle hand on Prince Mario's shoulder. "I'll watch your back so that doesn't happen again."

Peach continued giggling while Mario wore an annoyed expression on his face, feeling somewhat humiliated after what he had just gone through. Not only did he break a vase, but he was practically thrown across the room. 

"Do not worry, you seem unscratched! ...For the most part," Bleck chimed.

"Unscratched? UNSCRATCHED?! HOW'S THIS FOR UNSCRATCHED!?" Prince Mario exclaimed, rolling up his sleeve and revealing a tiny bruise on his elbow. Though it was fairly small and minimal in the eyes of many, to Prince Mario it felt huge. Never before had he been attacked like this. Not even by King Boo. The worst he got from the ghost king was the occasional headache from the overwhelming smell of paint.

"Your Majesty, don't you think you're overreacting just a tiny bit?" Peach asked playfully.

"No. I am not," Mario spat, crossing his arms while Peach smiled softly at him.

The prince felt his eye twitch slightly as he looked away. He wanted to stay upset... but with her smiling like that, it was hard.

"Alright... maybe a TINY bit," he admitted after a moment. He let out a sigh and brushed himself off, nodding over at the Chaos Heart fragment Peach had. "But... it was interesting to be on the adventure for once. You know, instead of just being rescued. It was intense, but also a little thrilling. I could almost say I enjoyed it. Almost."

"See! I knew you would!" Bleck beamed, earning a brief glare from Mario. The pixl didn't seem to notice, as he was already turning away, looking forward. "Now come along. We must return the Chaos Heart fragment and open the next door! Our journey awaits us, heroes!"

Mario scoffed slightly, trying to ignore the nice ring the word had when applied to him. Prince Mario, the hero...

. . .

The countess sat alone in her large room. There was a queen-sized bed that she slept in every night, though she always felt so small in it. White sheets, white covers, white walls, everything was bright. The darkest thing that was in there was her, which was comforting. She liked being able to control everything else and keep it bright.

She sighed and sat down on the smooth silk covers, laying back and looking at the ceiling as she ran her fingertips over the smooth material when there was a sudden knock on her door.

"Countess," Dimentio's voice started.

"Permission to enter," Countess Tippi breathed without moving.

Less than a second later, the jester was in her room with a chime and a ripple in the air.