Disk 02: Chapter 02: Minerva's Gift

Gaia. We emerged from the far end of the portal Aerith had opened into a wide-open field of grasses and wildflowers. A warm breeze blew the grass back and forth. Ignoring Yuffie's whining over having been shoved through the portal, I tilted my head back and gazed up at the cloudless sky. The sun was low, it seemed to be early morning here as well, but what drew my attention was what didn't belong; the dark crimson-swathed form of Meteor.

"Freaky, isn't it?" Yuffie asked.

"I'd say 'freaky' doesn't begin to describe that thing." I agreed.

Looking to Aerith, Yuffie said "So, did you finish what you were trying to do when Sephiroth attacked you?"

Aerith nodded. "Yeah. Holy is active. As soon as Sephiroth and Jenova are out of the way, it'll take care of Meteor for us."

"That's a relief."

"No kidding." I agreed. "So, Yuff, do you still have you phone? We need to stop Cid from scattering everyone around, get them back here... And where is here anyway?"

Pointing past me, Aerith said "Take a look. We're just outside Kalm. Seemed like a good place to bring us. Maybe you can find a new weapon in town while we're waiting for the others."

"Good thinking. Yuff, phone?"

"Right here!" Yuffie announced. She was already dialing as she spoke, so I stepped in close and listened. "Cid! Cid it's Yuffie! Listen, have you dropped anyone else off yet?"

"Hell no, not yet!" Came Cid's reply. "Red's my first stop, we're almost to Cosmo Canyon now."

"Okay good, look, I'm at Kalm. Don't drop off Red. Turn around, come here right now!"

"What the hell you talkin' about!? It's over!"

"No it's not! I've found something big! We've still got a chance!"

"Look you little spoiled brat, I'm not wasting time..." Cid started to argue. I grabbed the phone from Yuffie hand.

"Cid, this is Y/N! Get your butt here right now!" I shouted into the receiver.

There was a long silent pause. Then, "Y/N? What the hell!? What happened to you anyway? Where the hell have you been?" As Cid spoke, as soon as he said my name, I also heard other voices Vie behind him in the background.

"Never mind that right now. I'll explain everything when you're all here. There's still a chance, we're not beaten yet, but we've got to hurry. Will you come?"

"Yeah. Yeah we're turnin' the ship around now. Kalm right?"

"Right. How long 'til you arrive?" I asked.

"Give us four hours."

"Alright, see you then." I hung up, tossed the phone back to Yuffie. "Four hours." I said. "Time enough to run into town, buy a new blade, maybe new phones for Aer and I."

"That... And, there's one other thing I'd like to do while we're here." Aerith said.

Knowing what she was thinking of, I said "Alright. But if you're coming into town with me you'll need a disguise. We don't want word getting back to Shinra that you were here."

"I've got it covered." Aerith answered. Digging into her supply satchel, she produced a large hooded robe and put it on. With the hood pulled up, face deep in shadow, she was unrecognizable. Leaving Yuffie to watch for Cid in case we were delayed, we proceeded into the town...

----------------------------------------------------------

In town, we asked around at various inns and hotels until we found the information needed to take care of the concern Aerith had mentioned. Following the leads, we ended up across the street from a small but well-maintained older home with wooden walls painted blue and a large porch crowded with potted flowers. "Let's go." Aerith said, but I held her back.