Chapter 1

Alex pressed the button on her computer to turn it off and sat up from her chair. It was only 10:00 PM but she was far too excited to sleep tonight that she could wait another hour and a half until her bedtime.

She had been researching Lucid dreaming tips, as dreams had always fascinated her and she wanted to control her own dreams so that she could live half-lives as her OCs when she slept. From what Alex had gathered, she had to check her fingers regularly to make sure she still had five, and she had to set an alarm to wake up during deep sleep and then go back to sleep again right after. It didn't make much sense to her, but she was excited to give it a try!

She quickly changed into her sleeping-ware and climbed under her covers, taking out her phone and setting an alarm for 6:00 in the morning before setting it next to her head to make sure it would wake her up.

Alex did one last check of her five fingers before laying her head down and closing her eyes. She had to focus on all the sounds and move as little as possible, while imagining what her dream would be like.

She felt the blanket brushing against her feet, and heard the sound of rain pattering faintly outside her window slowly lulling her into sleep.

A bit of dry skin on her nose tickled, but Alex resisted the tempting thought of scratching it off, she really wanted this to work!

Suddenly, she felt the rain pattering against her skin and it got way louder, her eyes jolted open in surprise and she looked up at what should have been her ceiling.

To her surprise, it was the night sky, clouds covering the moon as rain pattered down on the sidewalk under her. Had it worked? Was she in a Lucid dream..? This wasn't how she'd imagined.

Alex remembered to look at her hands and do a finger check, but when she tried to hold them up to look at them she staggered and fell over against the wet sidewalk.

She looked down at her hands and her eyes widened in surprise as she saw what were very clearly black paws. According to the articles she had read, her hands were supposed to be unfocused and maybe missing or gaining a few blurry fingers, but these were very clearly black paws.

She also hadn't had any story customization, she had expected that of course but she had wished she would make her own story so that she could be her OCs and live out stories. Of course, her OC was a cat anyways, but this was a bit odd for what she'd expected a Lucid dream to be like.

Alex realized that she was still a cat though! This could make for a pretty interesting dream, especially with her typical lack of dreams!!

She looked around, this definitely wasn't her neighborhood, although perhaps it was some made-up dream city? There was a bright blue light and she turned to it, seeing a huge partially glass building with the words ''aquarium'' in fancy large letters.

Alex stepped closer to it and slipped on icy ground, falling down again and catching herself on a streetlamp. She shakily rose to her paws, taking careful and yet quick steps over to the building where there was less ice.

The hair on the back of her neck prickled and she looked around. She had heard in her research that thinking about scary things could lead to a Lucid nightmare.

Alex spotted the silhouette of a calico cat with green eyes watching her, that was odd... was this just a normal dream? She hadn't tried to will this strange cat into existence.

''Who are you?'' the cat asked with narrowed eyes, leaping off the garbage bin that it was standing on.

''Who am I? Who are you?? What are you doing in my dream?'' Alex asked, stepping closer as well.

''Dream? This is no dream, this is real life'' the cat said confidently, stopping where she was and sitting down.

''Of course it is! I'm not a cat for real, so this is obviously a dream!'' she said, rolling her eyes. Was this other cat some sort of dream walker? Alex didn't believe that those existed.

The other cat paused for a few seconds before speaking. ''I'm Brooke, and this isn't a dream. Now, tell me, what is your name? Your voice sounds familiar''.

Alex hesitated for a while, although she still believed this was some dumb dream that wouldn't matter when she woke up, and clearly it wasn't a Lucid dream because she had no control. ''I'm Alex'' she said, sitting down as well.