『21』

-----------------------

Matt entered the school with an audible huff, Caroline accompanying him closely. Stephanie headed off to locate Jeremy. Caroline, before heading to converse with the dance court, cast a glance at Matt and advised, "Be nice," then proceeded on her way.

Surveying the dance floor with a sigh, Matt observed the lively crowd of people engaged in dancing and conversation. He made his way to the punch bowl, contemplating a sip, when a voice caught him off guard from behind.

"I would be careful drinking those; last year, I had a nasty hangover, courtesy of some random freshman," warned Bonnie. She stood before him, and donned in a stunning dress that caught Matt's eye.

He nodded, a wry smile forming. "Thanks for the heads up. Wouldn't want a repeat of last year's mishaps. You look amazing, by the way."

Matt locked eyes with Bonnie, a subtle smile playing on his lips. He extended his hand towards her and asked, "Want to dance?" Bonnie returned the smile, placing her hand in his, and replied, "Sure, why not?" They moved towards the dance floor,

As Matt and Bonnie swayed to the music, the atmosphere around them seemed to change. The soft glow of the dance floor lights illuminated their faces as they found a comfortable rhythm.

Matt and Bonnie found themselves in a gentle sway as the music shifted to a slower tempo. Matt's hand on Bonnie's waist, their conversation continued.

"You know, I never thought I'd enjoy these school dances," Matt admitted, a thoughtful expression on his face.

Bonnie raised an eyebrow. "Really? Why's that?"

He shrugged, a half-smile forming. "I guess I always felt a bit out of place, but tonight feels different."

Bonnie smiled a warm understanding in her eyes. "Sometimes, all it takes is the right moment and the right person."

The sincerity in her words resonated with Matt. "Yeah, maybe you're right."

They danced in companionable silence before Bonnie spoke again, "So, what's your favorite memory from a school dance?"

Matt pondered for a moment before answering, "Honestly, I think tonight might be it. Just enjoying the music and good company."

Bonnie's smile widened, and she rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad to be a part of that memory then."

As they swayed, she gently broached a more serious topic, her tone soft, "Matt, how do you feel about being involved in the ritual? Elena's freaking out; she doesn't want to die. But I realized, amidst all this chaos, no one's asked you."

Matt's expression shifted, and he paused momentarily before responding, "Honestly, it's been overwhelming. I never signed up for anything like this. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all, you know?"

Just as Matt told her how he felt, Bonnie abruptly left, an air of urgency surrounding her. Matt, curious and concerned, followed closely behind. They encountered a frantic Elena and Alaric, who looked stressed.

"He has him, Klaus has Jeremy," Elena exclaimed, her worry palpable.

In response, Alaric stepped forward, . "Follow me; I saw him here earlier."

Elena, still grappling with the unfolding situation, questioned their direction, "Okay, so where are you taking us?"

"Just a little further," replied Alaric/Klaus,.

As they followed him through a side door, they saw Jeremy wasn't there "Where's Jeremy?"

Alaric/Klaus halted, an evil laugh escaping him. "I just had to get away from that dance. The sixties, ugh. Not my decade."

Elena, sensing danger, confronted him directly, "Are you on drunk?"

The imposter chuckled, "Now, why would you ask me that question, Elena?"

Realization struck, and Elena gasped, "Klaus!"

Matt, finally joining the conversation, said with a touch of irony, "You're a bit late to the party. Alaric's been under possession for days now." Bonnie and Elena were left speechless by the revelation.

As Alaric/Klaus revealed himself with a wide grin, proclaiming, "Surprise!"

The urgency of the situation pressed on, and Elena, fueled by concern for Jeremy, demanded, "Where's my brother, Klaus?"

"And Stephanie," Matt spoke up.

The possessed Alaric chuckled, relishing the tension in the air. "Oh, both are in safe hands. For now."

"Run, Elena. I'll handle Klaus," Bonnie said urgently. Elena ran off, looking for one of the Salvatore brothers to help her.

As Bonnie prepared to confront Klaus, Matt reached out and held her hand. "Don't. He has a protection spell on him. You won't be hurting him. He'll jump bodies again."

Despite Matt's warning, Bonnie couldn't suppress her rage and unleashed all her magical power against Alaric/Klaus. As she attacked, Matt's vision darkened, and he collapsed to the ground.

"Matt!" Bonnie cried out in alarm. "What did you do to him?" she demanded, intensifying her magic, causing Alaric/Klaus to scream in agony. He laughed faintly and replied, "Nothing to hurt him. I still need him for the ritual."

Just as Alaric/Klaus spoke, the strain on Bonnie became overwhelming, and she fell unconscious from the exertion of her magic. From the shadows emerged a man named Maddox.

"Pick him up, Maddox. He's coming with us," ordered Alaric/Klaus as they left, carrying an unconscious Matt.

—---------------------------

When Matt regained consciousness, he found himself in an unfamiliar apartment. As he looked around, he spotted a familiar face. Getting out of bed, he greeted, "Hello, Kitty Kat," addressing Katherine, who was repetitively stabbing her leg.

Katherine glanced at him with a sly smirk, her expression a mix of amusement and defiance. "Well, well, Sleeping Beauty finally wakes up. Took you long enough."

Matt, still trying to make sense of his surroundings, asked with a furrowed brow, "Where are we, and what the hell is going on?"

"Alaric's apartment," Katherine stated matter-of-factly. Matt, acknowledging the information, made a nonchalant hum. He rummaged through Alaric's clothes, found a shirt and shorts, then headed to the bathroom for a quick shower and change.

Upon emerging, Matt was greeted with an unexpected sight: a coffin on the ground and two people surrounding it engaged in a chanting ritual. Perplexed, he turned to Katherine and inquired, "What's happening now?"

Katherine, her usual confident demeanor shaken, responded with a hint of fear in her voice, "Klaus is going back to his original body."

Emerging from the coffin with a triumphant smirk, Klaus declared, "It's good to be back in my body." 

---------------------- 

FOLLOW, COMMENT, VOTE 

What is Bonnie's first indication that she's a witch?