Anti-male circumcision protest in Pakistan

Protesters in Pakistan, including members of the group 'Intact Pakistan,' gathered outside a hospital in Peshawar to protest against male circumcision on March 30, 2019. The demonstration was held in response to a recent statement by a prominent Pakistani religious leader advocating for male circumcision as a way to prevent the spread of HIV.

The protesters, mostly men, held signs and chanted slogans against the practice of male circumcision, which involves the removal of the foreskin of the penis. They argued that circumcision is a violation of human rights and can cause physical and psychological harm.

One protester, 35-year-old Mohammad Ali, told Reuters, 'We are here to raise our voices against this barbaric practice that has been imposed on us since childhood without our consent.'

The protest also aimed to raise awareness about the lack of evidence supporting the idea that male circumcision can prevent HIV transmission. The World Health Organization has stated that there is no clear evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV infection.

Male circumcision is a common practice in many countries, including Pakistan, where it is often performed for cultural or religious reasons. However, there is growing opposition to the practice, with many activists arguing that it violates a person's right to bodily autonomy and can have negative long-term effects on sexual health and pleasure.

The protesters called for an end to male circumcision and for the government to take action to protect the rights of boys and men in Pakistan.

The demonstration in Peshawar is just one example of a larger global movement against male circumcision. Similar protests have taken place in other countries, including the United States, where the practice is also common.

The issue of male circumcision remains a controversial and highly debated topic, with strong arguments on both sides. However, events like this protest in Pakistan serve as a reminder that individuals have a right to make decisions about their own bodies and that these decisions should be respected and protected.