1.5

The car, while good at driving, had no knack for stealth. The cop car followed them, through the city, into the country, even inside a darkened warehouse without losing them for a second. (Y/N) was still reeling, and poor Sam hadn't stopped screaming once.

Just outside of the warehouse, (Y/N)'s car opened its doors and dumped out its passengers. (Y/N) tumbled hard in the dirt and hurried to clamber to her feet. But, she would have done better to stay on the ground, for her car transformed into that tall yellow and black robot once again, and she tripped over her feet as she scrambled to get away.

"Holy shit!" Sam screamed, so desperate to escape he was crawling. "Oh my god!"

"Get up!" (Y/N) demanded, hoisting him to his feet just in time to run again. The evil robot had deployed a drone that came straight for them.

They tore across the field, narrowly avoiding the shower of sparks that came from the scrape of metal against metal. The two robots fought behind them, so big that the ground seemed to shake with each punch they threw. The yellow bot got hit with a particularly hard blow, and he was sent tumbling backward, barely missing (Y/N) and Sam, who dove out of the way.

(Y/N) hurried to stand again, already running away to somewhere else when Sam screamed her name.

"Help me! Help!" The drone attached itself onto his legs, clawing and climbing and ripping up his jeans. Sam kicked his legs as he desperately tried to weasel away. "It's gonna kill me! (Y/N)!"

She didn't know what he expected her to do, and despite this, she hurried back to his side. Without a thought or a clue, (Y/N) pulled back her leg and she kicked the drone hard enough that one of its sharp metal arms snapped off and the drone went flying.

"Thank you," Sam scrambled to his feet, sounding breathless. "Thank you, you're an angel, you're incredible–"

"Go!" (Y/N) pushed him forward, bending down to scoop up the remaining arm.

She had hoped for some kind of exit at the bottom of the hill, but all they found was a fence keeping them locked in. (Y/N) had half a mind to jump it, but that was no good. The top was wrapped with spindles of barbed wire.

She swore under her breath, turning around to run somewhere – anywhere else, but the drone had come back with a vengeance. It used its remaining claws to reach out and slice her cheek, only narrowly missing her eye. As she cried out, she could have sworn it laughed at her.

They were cornered, Sam was still panicking, and the robots were still fighting. The drone was circling around again, metal claws glistening in the moonlight, and (Y/N) was convinced that was the end. But she refused to go down without a fight.

She waited until the drone was low enough, then, using its own arm against it, she whacked it out of the sky. (Y/N) started after it as soon as it hit the ground, ignoring Sam – "Wait, (Y/N), I don't think that's such a good idea!" – ignoring her racing heart and rising anxiety. The drone started to sit up, and with a frightened scream, (Y/N) hit it again. And again. And again until it whirred pathetically. Then, for good measure, she plunged its metal claws straight through its chest.

Its eyes flickered out. Dead.

She staggered backward, realizing what she'd done. Despite her shaking hands and labored breaths, she had won. If anyone told her she'd be spending her Friday night defending her classmate from an alien...

Sam said hesitantly from behind her, "Are you okay?"

"I just killed an alien robot with its own arm. I'm great!" She turned around to face him, beaming.