• Chapter Thirteen •

Silas POV:

"Did someone hurt her while at the party? That would not have been possible because I kept my eyes on her all evening and so did Vernon. Did her brother hurt her? Did someone enter the home without anyone knowing?" The questions are rolling off of my tongue before I even realize it.

Woodrow looks panicked, and I can not blame him. This is the first time he has most likely had to experience this situation.

"I am not quite sure, my Lord." I appreciate Woodrow's loyalty but I know that he knows what happened to Eleanor, and if Woodrow does not tell me then I will find anyone who will tell me.

I glance over to where Eleanor is rushing over to the carriage that has been waiting for her in order to go dress shopping.

The humor behind the black and blue really shines through now considering her neck.

I look back at Woodrow and the concern tracing over his face only confirms my suspicions that he deeply cares for her but will not confess that she is in danger.

"Woodrow, you have to tell me if she is in danger so that I can help her and her family. Who knows what could possibly happen."

"I understand, my Lord. The situation is already handled, you must not worry yourself."

The situation is already handled? What the fuck does he mean by that? What was the situation?

I grab his collar and pull him close enough to me and the panic in his face only gets worst.

"Woodrow, what the hell was the situation?" I am almost spitting through my teeth.

"I can not tell you, I am sworn to keep it a secret; my Lord." I let his shirt go, when he promises something, he will never break it.

I take my hat off and run my hand through my hair getting progressively frustrated at what is happening.

I have to get out of here before I act out, at least not while Eleanor is still present.

I hop on to Branston's saddle and kick his sides for him to start moving. As I kick harder and faster, Branston picks up his speed. I never try to make him to go faster than what I have trained him for, but I need him to hurry in order to get answers.

I have to find where Everett and Vernon is and maybe I can get the truth out of both of them.

Eventually I find them both in a cafe and I hop off of my saddle and walk into the restaurant. I meet their eyes and Everett gives a nervous smile which is odd and Vernon does not even give me a second look.

They are both acting suspicious, just like almost every body in the city. It could possibly be just because of me sharing a dance with someone which is odd in itself. Or maybe I just overthink how every body looks at me. The ladies always look at me with lust, the men always look at me with hatred.

It is not my fault that the girl you want to court would rather be on my arm and not yours. I think before getting to their table.

"Vernon, Everett." I nod to both of them and take a seat at their table.

We share some mediocre conversations over the ball and how the ladies looked and how none of them caught each others attention. Although I can not agree, there was a few beautiful ladies.

A few.

"I rode with your sister this morning, Everett." I finally announce breaking the conversation of the ball talk.

"How was it?" Everett smiles, almost sounding thankful to change topics.

"It was well, I heard she was doing some dress shopping with your mother. Although I noticed something odd that I wanted to question you about." Here we go.

"Oh?" His voice is already shaking. He knows.

"When she got off of her horse, the scarf she was wearing fell slightly to reveal black and blue marks on her neck."

Suddenly Vernon chokes on his tea, he has stayed awkwardly quiet up until this point. Does he know too?

"Oh, um yes. She fell last night when she came in, we thought to believe she may have drank something." This is unbelievable.

"She fell on her neck? Do you know how unbelievable that sounds?"

"I must take my leave gentlemen, I have some urgent business to attend to." Vernon stands quickly and goes to the door.

"Good day, Vernon." I call out to him. I notice he still smells of alcohol and I wonder if he even washed himself after the ball.

I have to question Vernon alone to see if I can get anything out of him, maybe I can just get him drunk enough. He always acts out while drunk.

Acts out?

"I do know how unbelievable that may sound, but you must trust that it was only her tripping. We both know she is clumsy sometimes."

Everett is not wrong, but it still does not add up to how her bruises look almost like hands. Thoughts run through my head of what else could have happened to her but it seems like I will not be getting the answers any time soon unless I find a way into convincing someone to help me.

Suddenly I remember there is a certain maid in her house that may be able to help me, considering she does owe me a favor or two.

Me and Everett decide to go clothes shopping as well, we need to update our wardrobe for the season anyways. At least it gives me some time to figure out how to go about this situation.

Everett finds a red and black vest and a blue and black. I do not particularly need new clothes but so that Everett does not feel alone I find some new dress shoes and a blue and black vest as well.

Blue is such a elegant color. The color of sapphire specifically.

As me and Everett part ways, he shares just a few last words with me.

"Please do not worry yourself with Eleanor, Silas. Everything is sorted out and there is no issues."

That is not convincing me enough.

"Thank you for letting me know." I take a step forward to Everett and give him one last warning before leaving, "if I ever find out if someone touched her, be aware of the consequences that are to come to the man who touches her and you for lying. You may not like me around your sister but you know me well enough to know I would protect anyone.. even my best friends sister."

Saying best friends sister feels like strange words coming out of my own mouth, but in order for Silas to trust me enough around her he needs to think I have no certain interests in her.

"You will not find anything out because there is nothing to know." Everett is becoming more irritated and that gives me the sign to back off a bit before he forbids me from ever even breathing the same air as his sister.

I salute him in a taunting way and nod before taking my leave on Branston.

I will find out what happened and nothing can stop me.