[ 033 ] butcher and consume.

CROOKED HEART.

chapter thirty-three, butcher and consume.
[ season ten, episode nine ]

IT WAS UNDENIABLE BEFORE but now there is no way out. They are completely fucking screwed. Odessa has never been afraid of close spaces, it's something she thought she'd never have to worry about.

The group flashes their lights over the faces of the walkers, looking for any Whisperers among them. They find none.

"Uh, hey guys?" Jerry calls out suddenly.

They all follow his line of vision, landing on a cliff above them. Alpha stands, her face is illuminated in an orange light due to the torch she holds. She watches them, eyes full of malice. A slow smile creeps onto her ugly face.

"How'd she get up there?" Theo asks.

No one responds.

Except for Carol.

An angry scream erupts from her mouth, taking everyone by surprise.

The scream means only one things. Alpha is going to pay.

─────────

They don't have a way out. Cori sits with her back pressed against the rock wall. Her face is pale, eyes shut as she tries to regulate her breathing. Odessa kneels in front of her, dabbing a folded up bandana against her forehead to clear her face of some sweat. "You doin' okay, babe?"

"What do you think?" Cori snaps.

Odessa takes it. She takes the anger and the sadness and she keeps it.

"Hey!" Daryl says to them. The pair of wives look to him. "We got a way across."

Odessa helps Cori stand, the two approach the others. "How are we getting across?" Odessa asks,

"Daryl wants us to jump." Kelly replies.

Cori raises her eyebrows. "Come again?"

Kelly hums. "Onto that rock and then the other side."

"Hell no." Cori scoffs. A sudden cough bursts from her chest, she brings her hand to her mouth. Everyone watches with concerned eyes as Odessa grabs her wife's arm holding her steady.

When the fit passes, Cori pulls her hand away from her mouth, swiftly wiping it on the side of her leg. She shakes her head, blinking away the tears burning in her eyes. "I'm good."

A lie that they all see through.

Daryl turns, his eyes finding Odessa's before anyone else's. A silent conversation is passed between them. If either of them fall, they promise to take care of each other's families. Daryl with protect Cori and Brielle more than he always does. He'll love Koda like he loves Dog. He'll help Alden find himself.

Odessa with take Dog into her home, allowing him to sleep on her bed like Koda does. She'll make sure Carol is okay.

They can't lose each other. They are each other's family.