Chapter One: New Hope

Ivy's POV:

I walked down the street with my hands shoved awkwardly into my pockets to try and stay warm in the early morning. Even though I wasn't an early bird, I had decided to take this walk while I still could. My boyfriend, Jessie, was still asleep, giving me at least an hour to myself before he awoke and looked for me to try and find a reason to yell at me. 

I yawned and shook my head which I held hung low, hiding my rough appearance and puffy eyes from passers by who got an even worse look at my messy hair. I didn't have time to do much getting ready, as I had had just woken up about fifteen minutes ago and didn't want to waste any more time.

As I walked, I tuned into a few conversation and activities taking place around me. A young boy arguing with his mother over ice cream. An older lady trying to find a seat in a near by cafe. Two men running past me with guitar cases while one scolded the other. An old man sitting on a bench with his nose stuffed in a newspaper. A couple passing by holding hands, complimenting each other. Another couple across the street shouting at each other.

Dark cloud hung high in the sky, a few small drops of rain painting the sidewalk as I continued to trudge down the street, trying to find some comfort from the shit show I had to deal with back at my apartment. I kept walking until my body crashed into someone much larger than me and I stumbled back in surprise.

I instantly looked up, ready to apologize for my mistake, but my words wouldn't come as I stared up at the man who stared down at me with equal surprise. This man had some of the most gorgeous blue eyes I had ever seen and even with little sunlight they still managed to pierce my green eyes, still puffy from sleep.

"Im terribly sorry. Are you okay?" He asked, his voice wavering softly. It wasn't hard to tell he was nervous, but that was understandable as he had just crashed into a random 5'10 woman rushing down the street for god knows what reason.

"Oh no, don't apologize. I should have been watching where I was going." I replied, equally as nervous as he was. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks as we continued to stare, not really sure what to say or do next, but each second gone by just got more and more awkward.

The mans eyes darted between mine for a moment before he cleared his throat and spoke. "Whats you name?" He asked suddenly. I was a bit surprised by this question since our only interaction was an awkward mistake, but I proceeded.

"Ivy." I replied softly, my cheeks flushing a bit more red than before. "Whats yours?" I returned the question to further make the interaction less awkward.

"Ed." He replied and held his hand out as his lips curled into a big smile. I reached forward and took his hand to shake it, giggling softly as I did so.

"Well, I better get going now." I said as I dropped his hand and shoved mine back into my pocket. I was dreading going back home and seeing how I looked in the presence of such a gorgeous man.

"Of course." He said and stepped aside a bit, his eyes still trained on me. "Have a good day, Ivy." He replied with another smile before continuing past me. I turned my head and watched him walk away, just now noticing the guitar case strapped to his back. I sighed and turned forward again, continuing to walk back to where I had come from, my apartment building.

----

2 weeks later

"I literally don't understand you. You might be one of the most bipolar people I have ever met. Lighten up a little bit!" Candice shoved me through the doors of the bar as I grumbled, pushing back against her. She whined and tried to push me harder, but considering I was almost five inches taller than her I had more leverage and could push back. "Just go in already! I saw these guys a couple moths ago and they rocked! Just give 'em a chance." She whined and shoved me rather hard, causing me to finally stumble through the doors of the bar.