Headline pt.3

I'm sorry this took so long
Harry's POV
I'm absolutely terrified. Why the hell did I agree to let my ex boyfriend take me out to dinner? Why did I agree to go to his house? Why did I message him in the first place? Why did I almost tell him? Why was Niall stupid enough to give me his number? Why did I even ask for it? Why? I don't even know where we're going. I don't like not knowing things. I shouldn't have told him that I still love him. Actually, maybe it was a good idea. I don't know. Either way, I'm probably screwed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Louis' POV
How the fuck did I manage to do that? I'll never understand how he agreed to meet with me, let alone go out to dinner with me. I swear on my life that I'll never hurt him again. I couldn't bear to see a look like that on his face again. Somehow, I manage to comb my hair into something that could be considered presentable and throw on clothes that don't look as if I'm going to make a quick run to the supermarket. Harry texts me his address. I don't have his number saved yet. I don't know what to save it as. I never really called him Harry but it feels wrong to call him a pet name. Maybe if I can do something with this dinner I'll save it as a pet name or something cute like I used to. I never stopped loving him. I tried to text him maybe a year after we broke up but he changed his number. I've always listened to his music and watched videos of his concerts. It seems he never stopped overworking himself. Maybe it was because of the way he hates, or at least hated, change. Either way, he clearly has become one of the biggest pop artists of all time. I'm proud of him. I can recognize some of the music patterns, mostly off of his debut album, from his usual song writing shenanigans where he would dance around the house with no shirt on and his guitar being strummed. Even some of the lyrics remind me of things we did together. Everything blurs together, getting into my car and driving to Harry's house, and I'm suddenly faced with ringing his doorbell. I press the small button and wait.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry's POV
My phone buzzes with the notification before Louis rings the bell. I bought a camera doorbell after people I don't know kept coming to my door. He waves and smiles into the camera. It makes me feel like I did all those years ago when we were first falling in love. I run through my house to find my keys, wallet, and make sure my phone is in my pocket before opening the door.
"Hi." Louis greets. He's wearing a striped polo shirt and a pair of black jeans. It's not like anything I've ever seen him wear. Then again, it might be his everyday kind of outfit now. I haven't been keeping up with his life since mid 2016. It looks great on him. His thick brunette hair is as fluffy as ever, I want to rub my fingers through it. The same ocean blue eyes I've always adored look into mine.
"Hey."
"You look amazing." I can feel the heat rise to my cheeks.
"Thanks. So do you."
"Are you ready?"
"Yeah."
"Alright then. Let's go." Louis sticks out his hand for me to grab. I hesitate, not knowing if I trust him enough to hold my hand, before grabbing it anyway. He leads me to the black Range Rover that he arrived in. I was never interested in cars the way he was, but I'm not surprised he drives something like this. He opens the door and allows me into the passenger side. It's been ages (different stages, come so far from princess park) since anyone's done something like that for me out of kindness rather than attempting to get out of a paparazzi mob. I forgot how nice it feels. He walks around and climbs in the driver seat. I get a clear view of all his tattoos.
"How many tattoos do you have now?"
"I lost count a long time ago. Maybe 45. You?" I'm glad he doesn't mention the fact we have, or at least had, many matching tattoos.
"At least 50. It depends."
"On what?"
"Lots of things."
"Such as?"
"You're asking me a lot of questions."
"You're not giving clear answers."
"Well maybe it's because I don't wanna tell you the answers to the questions you're asking."
"Well maybe I'm gonna keep asking anyways."
"Well maybe I'll just ignore you."
"Well maybe I'll keep talking anyways."
"Well maybe I'll kiss you until you shut up." The thought flies out of my mouth before I can process what I'm saying. There's a small pause, Louis most likely processing my words.
"You'd kiss me?" He glances between me and the road. I feel like he's genuinely surprised that I would.
"Why not? I used to all the time."
"Yeah but... it's been a long time."
"Why would that change anything?"
"I don't know."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Louis POV
"I don't know." I make a harsh right turn that sends my phone flying out of the center cup holder and into the passenger side door. Harry places it back in its spot without saying a word. The tension is killing me but I have no idea what to say.
"The only reason I never reached out is because I thought you hated me."
"Why would you think that?"
"You left. You left and never came back. And by the looks of it you had a child. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption."
"I know what I did was wrong and I'll never be able to apologize for it. But I never hated you. And I never will." It's nearly impossible for me to keep my eyes on the road when this amazing boy is sat next to me. Thankfully I find a parking spot right in front of the restaurant I made reservations at before I crash into anything. "We're here."
Holy crap it's been a while. I'm in Montana on our annual ski trip and I've been writing this on chairlifts lol. I completely cut of all contact with my (now ex) best friend so that's nice. Pt.4 soon hopefully! Love you all ❤️