Chapter Thirteen - Home Sweet Home

⟪Elizabeth⟫

News articles were everywhere. Photos from last night circled around every social media outlet. No matter what I did or where I went, I was bombarded with pictures of me and Kaden before the match, during it, and after at the bar.

I had to admit we looked good together.

 It looked real, I mean.

"Hello? Sweetheart? You listening?" Kaden asked, leaning across the small coffee shop table.

"Yeah, what were you saying?" I replied, raising the cup to my lips.

"My next match is next week. Have you booked plane tickets?"

"Oh, no. Not yet. Sorry."

Before he could reply, my phone rang. I dug around my purse for a few minutes before finding it. I answered. "Hey, Mom."

"You've gotten yourself into quite the spotlight, now, haven't you?" she asked. I could practically hear the smile in her voice. It made me smile.

"You've seen the pictures?" I asked.

"You two are adorable, dear," she tells me. "Are you going to bring him home anytime soon?"

"I have to check schedules, but yeah. That's the plan." I set my coffee cup back down.

"I miss you, sweetie. I can't wait for you to come home."

"I miss you too, Mom," I replied, smiling softly. "I'll get home as soon as possible. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay. Bye, Honey."

"Bye." I hung up, dropping my phone back in my bag. "My Mom wants to meet you and wants me home."

Kaden nodded his head. "Alright, well, as long as there's a gym or something I can train with we can go this week."

"But what about your match next week?"

"We'll make it."

+++

The next morning–after Kaden forced me to book the tickets–we were boarding a plane back home. His hand was on my lower back as we walked through the aisle. I took my seat by the window, watching Kaden as he leaned up to put our carry-ons away.

The gray shirt he wore rode up a little bit, revealing a defined abdomen and a v-line disappearing into his jeans. He sat down next to me.

"Thanks for this, Kade," I say, flicking the brim of his baseball cap up slightly. "I appreciate it."

"No problem, Lizzie," he replied, gently bumping his fist into my arm before adjusting his hat. "So any information I gotta know before I meet the parents?"

I sighed. "Nothing specific. Just...Just be nice."

"I'm always nice."

"Your job is literally to beat the crap out of people," I pointed out.

"What do you think I'm going to do? Walk in and K.O. your Mom or something?" he asked, rolling his eyes. "You're just nervous, Liz. It'll be fine, okay?"

"If I'm being honest my mother would probably love it if you K.O'd her. She makes...lewd comments."

Kaden smirked, and I regretted sharing the information. "Your Mom thinks I'm hot?"

I rolled my eyes. "Be careful, your ego might take the whole plane down."

"What about you, Lizzie? Huh? Do you think I'm hot?" he asked, leaning toward me. "Do you check me out when I'm not looking?"