Kindergarteners and Alien Hunters

I hopped on the train and managed to snag myself a window seat. Score. The train was already filling up with people, which was odd at this hour. Usually, it's dead empty and quiet. The turkey sandwich sat in my hand. I rubbed my fingers against the brown oats in the crust. Then took a small bite. I observed everyone on the train.

This metaphor is going to suck, but that's fine. You see, the people here in this town can only be described as a family's laundry basket. Everything's different, everyone's tastes are different. You got yourself pairs of socks. Those are your lovey-dovey couples practically having sex in the park. Then the dad's polo shirts. Businessmen. Mom's office outfits. Businesswomen. The kids' bright assortment of ugly garments are the vibrant people of this town. I'm the sock without a pair. I'm alone, and I'm totally fine with that..

Anyways, did I mention underwear and those of the sort? That's the prostitutes of this place. Look all around. There's bound to be a bimbo lurking out of every sidewalk crack and rain drains. Okay, not nice. Sorry.

An elderly woman thought that it was a grand idea to sit right next to me. There was a seat right next to the entrance. Why didn't she sit there?

I've read somewhere that old people are lonely and yearn for comfort. But I don't wanna be that guy...

She pulled a wrapped peppermint candy out of her bag, "Want some, honey?"

I pushed up my glasses, "No, thank you ma'am. That wouldn't be necessary.

"Well aren't you the most dapper young gentleman?" She smiled, wrinkles forming at her cheeks.

"I wouldn't call mys-" I was silenced by a small susurrate coming from the elder lady.

"Come now, no need to be so formal around me. I'm Vivien," Vivien turned to me.

"Miles," I responded stoically.

"What a nice name! It just suits you too!" She laughed.

- - -

The train ride took about 30 minutes. I finished up my sandwich while Vivien vented to me about her lousy excuse for a husband, George. It was pretty interesting, honestly.

According to her, George was always out "alien-hunting." He would put on those phony tinfoil helmet things and run into the street at night making odd hooting noises. Vivien is afraid that there might be something wrong with him. I consoled her and said that George'll be just dandy.

"Vivien. Can I show you something?"

She gave me a surprised look, "...What is it, boy?" Poor Viv probably thought that I was going to sell her a Ziplock bag of crack.

I reached my hand down the breast pocket of my shirt and pulled out the document that the woman left. Then I passed it to Vivien and watched her read it.

"Marina Diamandis. Why does that name ring a bell?" She rubbed her chin.

So Marina was a well-known figure. Got that down.

"Ah! I got it! She was on the news once. She and her boyfriend would go around destroying property, like vandalism," She gave back the piece of paper to me and I put it away.

Seriously? Marina didn't look like a criminal. She looked so innocent.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are coming to a stop here at Eldom Avenue. Have a great day, everyone," the conductor came on the intercom.

"Here we are, Miles. Take the peppermint," she plopped the candy in my hands and hobbled off the train.

"See you soon, Vivien!" I yelled and she turned to wave.