chapter 8 | a lesson in fashion

«Cause they see right through me. They see right through me. They see right through. Can you see right through me?»

---

"Why? I'm just..." She glared daggers in his direction, and the guy visibly swallowed his laugh. "I'm just curious."

Salma turned to face Sloane, who was also on the verge of letting out one of her chuckles. "Tell me for how long would I have to put up with your whining if I killed your boyfriend for being irritating?"

The girl leaned against her boyfriend, cheek pressed to the side of his arm. "About five months. I've grown quite fond of him. He might be my favourite."

"Only five months?" The man in question gasped, trying to search for Sloane's gaze.

"Fine, six months. Five to mourn the cats, and one for you." She smiled. He gently rocked against her and Sloane giggled, giving in and peeling off from him. "No, no. Be nice, Max Emilian."

"I am nice. I'm wondering why, that's it." Max continued, this time fixing his attention back on her.

Salma narrowed her eyes. "We asked ourselves the same thing when she admitted her relationship with you. I mean, she's wearing Prada, what are you wearing? Red Bull's latest drop?"

The driver snorted and pointed a finger at her. "That's fair, I get it. But in my defence, I do send flowers." That was useless, in her opinion. "No come on, the last time we discussed Pierre you were calling him 'fucking annoying', can't blame me for asking what's with the change of mind."

The three girls remained quiet. She exchanged a quick glance with Sloane, who shifted on her seat and pulled her hands off Max, whilst Irina bumped Salma's knee with hers under the table and sipped from her drink, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. She smiled, resting her elbow on the table and her chin on her open palm, focus directed to Sloane. Salma wouldn't be the one doing the explanation.

"Sloane, why don't you tell your boyfriend why I decided to go out with his friend?"

Max gazed from Sloane to Salma a couple of times, until his girlfriend straightened up and turned to him with a smile full of charm. "She, uh, has a thing for individuals who are a little pathetic. Also, Salma here," Her hand gestured at her from across the table. "Wanted to know what was so special about you guys, and since Charles is no longer available to date another one of my friends, we guessed giving Pierre a chance was a good option. But he's growing in her. Right, Rina?"

Irina coughed against her glass, nodding and setting it between her hands. "Totally! That's...that's exactly what's going on." She looked at Salma. "They've been on a few dates and you can feel the chemistry already. So cute. Watch out, you two might have some competition for the most adorable couple, just saying."

Why did she let them speak? They could not be normal even if they tried. Those two wouldn't stop taking the piss about the situation any time soon. Salma sighed, and Max funnily looked at her. She waved her hand in the air as if trying to dismiss the topic. This guy should know that his girlfriend was a little evil inside.

"We're only hanging out." She added, knowing Sloane and Irina wanted to laugh. Like full-on inhuman noises. "He's not...that bad." She thought of their last date. The one at the villa in Lecco with the Italian family.

It wasn't supposed to come as a pleasant memory. That was not normal.

Max pursed his lips and raised his eyebrows. "That's good to hear. Pierre is Pierre, but he's a nice guy. I'm glad you're getting to know each other."