Chapter 4

Danu was right. The Generals all understood what was happening and began speaking of preparations without any hesitation.

"Do you want to explain to me why you seem to be keeping Darren out of everything?" Fiadh asked once they were alone in the throne room.

"Some things happened in my battle, and I need to clear them up with him."

"What kind of things?"

She told her about what she very much hoped was all an illusion and about the things said in regards to using her like a broken doll or getting rid of her all together.

"Do you really think I would let him do that to you? I would kill him!"

"It all seemed so real, Fi. Laoise desperately wants him, and he has always noticed her. I know we need to talk, but I'm not sure what to say to him yet."

"Ai, it's Darren. You two have been flirting with each other for ages while playing this silly game of waiting when we all know you both are head over heels. Go find him. I'll go get Beck, Caden, and Cillian and meet you here in the throne room in a couple of hours so that you and Darren have time to talk."

Aiden started to go search for Darren but decided to change out of her bloody, sweaty tunic and fighting leathers first. She went straight to the bathing room in her chambers where a hot bath had already been prepared and sighed as she sank down into the pleasant, perfumed water. As much as she wanted to luxuriate in the glorious feel of the bath, she knew that time was of the essence, so she quickly washed her hair and cleaned the still healing cuts on her arm and side.

As she wrapped herself in a towel and was brushing out her hair at the bathing room counter, she sensed someone come in and looked over to see Darren standing in the doorway. "What are you doing in here? I could have still been in the bath."

"Would you care if I saw you naked, Aiden? What would you have said if I had gone so far as to ask to join you? You came back, and now, you have to look at me and tell me that you feel the same way I do. I don't know what slamming the throne room doors in my face was all about, but the Aiden I know will tell me what's going on."

"Things happened in my battle that I somehow remember. I'm unsure if they were illusions or not, but we can talk about it later. We have bigger things to deal with right now, and you know it. Now, I'm aware too thanks to my conversation with Danu. The Generals have been given orders, and Fiadh and the other Chosen are meeting us in the throne room in a couple of hours to discuss what we must do next."

Darren walked over and stood so close that Aiden could feel the warmth coming off of him and see the pulse in his neck beating rapidly as he took the brush from her hand and set it on the counter before placing his strong hands on either side of her waist. Her heart suddenly seemed to be beating like a war drum, and she found she could not form words as she looked up into his eyes while lower parts of her body began begging for him to pull the towel from her and take her right there on the bathing room counter.

"We will go find the others in a little while, but right now, we are going to talk about us. What do you want, Aiden? Tell me exactly what you would like me to do right now. I want to hear you say it instead of just knowing through heightened senses," he whispered in her ear. He leaned down to gently kiss her neck just below that ear. Then up to her jaw. Finally, the corners of her full lips. He then pulled back just slightly and locked eyes with her.

One of Darren's hands began a gentle slide down Aiden's waist, to her hip, and finally to outer thigh where he stopped and stroked his fingers gently over the skin underneath where the towel stopped. Her whole body began humming with need when he slowly moved his fingers from outer thigh toward inner thigh. "I have remained patient because you wanted to wait until after your battle, but when I'm alone in my bed, I close my eyes and think about how much I want you forever, Aiden. I've thought about what it would be like to taste you more times than I can count. Let me finally love you. Let me have you right now," he confessed never letting his eyes leave hers.