Grom

(This is a Valentines special. Timeline is after labyrinth runners before D.O.U. Also it's a half day so lunch is at the end of the day)

Matt's POV:

I was sitting in construction class making little illusions out of boredom. Most of them were of Gus. I loved Gus he was my best friend... and I had a crush on him but he would never like me back. I was a jerk, ugly and weak. He was kind the kindest person I've ever met, he was smart, and so pretty. The intercom went off it said "With grom only 2 days away we have selected our grom king!" King? Usually it was a queen maybe they're switching it up.

"We have selected Mattholomule for king!" The intercom said. The illusions disappeared and I looked up. My eyes widened realizing what he just said. The entire class was staring at me. N-no this isn't happening I- I can't! Me fighting grom?! I wasn't strong enough I'd die! I started crying and ran out of the room. I couldn't breathe. I ran to the men's bathroom and curled up in a stall.

Gus's POV:

I was sitting in English class drawing little illustrations. When the intercom went off announcing the grom king we usually had a queen so this was different. "We have selected Mattholomule for king!" I dropped my pencil and looked around the room worried. Being grom king is insanely difficult I remember when Amity and Luz were the queens. You have to fight your biggest fear. It was lunch next period so I'd talk to him about it then. Matt was one of my best friends and to be honest it felt different around him. Nothing I've ever felt my heart would beat faster and I couldn't think StRaIgHt.

The bell rang and before I went to find Matt I had to use the bathroom. I walked to the bathroom and walked in. I didn't think anyone was there till I heard crying and sniffling. "I can't do this! I'm not strong enough! I'll either die or embarrass myself! Plus I wanted to ask them out but they'd never go with me..." I heard a familiar voice say from the second stall. It took a second then I recognized it. "Matty is that you? Are you ok?" I said softly, and worried. "G-Gus?!" Matt said anxiously trying to calm down. I heard some shuffling and the door open.

Matt walked out his eyes and face were bright red from crying so much. "Matt!" I said as he collapsed into me. I caught him and sat down leaning him against my side. I wrapped my arm around him side hugging the upset small witch. Matt just sat there with his legs up to his chest and his head against his hands.

"Matty you're gonna be ok... it's going to be ok you're stro-" I said but Matt cut me off "No I'm not! You're lying I'm failing all my classes! I can barely do any magic! You're literally perfect! You're by far the strongest illusionist and one of the smartest kids here! I've never been good at anything! It doesn't help that my brother is in the Empores coven! I'm useless and stupid and nobody likes me and no one ever will." Matt shouted as tears rolled down his face frantically.

These words hurt me probably almost as much as they hurt him. "Matty I like you, I think you're smart in your own way, you might not be school smart but you're amazing at spotting scams at the market, you have great strategies and plans, you're stubborn in a good way, you're funny, you are stronger than you think and you're pretty..." I whispered The last few words.

Matt looked up at me his face red but soft and calmer looking. He looked down and wiped his tears. He chuckled a little smiling faintly. He looked at me with a sweet smile and my heart started racing. "G-Gus d-do you like me?" Matt stuttered. "Ofc I literally just said I did! You're like my best friend." I said confused. Matt scoffed looking down. "Oh duh." He said looking upset again. He stood up and clenched his fists I could see tears forming in his eyes again. "I-I should go..." he said wiping his eyes. I was so confused did I say something wrong?

Matt ran off and a note flew out of his pocket and fell beside me. "Matt wait I-" I tried to stop him but it was too late he was gone. The note layed there folded neatly. I opened it curious, I knew I probably shouldn't have but I was worried about Matt. At the top was a scribbled out mess that said dear and then something else I couldn't make out. Underneath it was another scribble but it was easier to read it said "Gus will you" my eyes widened as I read it. The paper was covered in tear stains. But at the bottom it said "Go to grom with me?" I was even more shocked. That's what me meant by do you like me! Shit I messed up I need to find Matt!