Chapter 22: Closer

"Alpha Laarsen, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have you here, though we were expecting you several days from now," the woman across the desk from him chirped, her enthusiasm lighting her face. "When we received a call from your Beta, we knew to expect your rather generous donation, but we couldn't even hope to think you would come to provide the donation yourself. I have to tell you, our little organization is in a bit of an uproar. There wasn't much time to plan for your arrival, but I assure you, we've made all the appropriate adjustments to security and—"

Waving his large hand dismissively, Rueger leaned back in the too-small-for-his-large-frame office chair, and offered the overly eager female a well-practiced smile.

"When I heard about the work you are doing, I knew I had to come and see if for myself. I apologize if I interrupted anything—I would hate to think my arrival has disrupted your day-to-day, especially since I believe you can answer a few questions for me."

The woman, the center's director, offered him a gleaming smile. "Not at all, Alpha. What is it that I can do for you?"

"My Pack is large, and we have a few dozen young who have been displaced by tragedy. I am hoping to implement a similar program for our orphaned pups within our Pack," he offered honestly, feeling only slightly guilty for using his Pack's need for such a program as an excuse to be there. So near his estranged mate. "While there are those within the Pack willing to take them in, they are still in need of programs focused on helping them integrate into their new lives, and to heal from their losses. Your program would offer them both when they need it most."

The female, Kiran Chaudhry, grinned, nodding sagely.

"These programs are important, and the need for them only growing every year. That is why we were so adamant about finding only the best shifters to run it."

Ask her! Ask her about our mate!

Forcing down the rising urgency, Rueger clasped his hands in his lap and crossed one leg over the other, determined to show an unaffected mien. No one could know how excited he was to be there, to be that close to his mate. It was critical to his plan that no one suspect his true purpose for being there.

"I've read about your program director, Kay Nishimura." His wolf huffed at that name...that fake name. The false name his mate had taken on in order to start a new life.

To hide from us!

Yes. She'd changed her name to hide from them. To become someone other than the female who'd been rejected and humiliated by her mate  two years ago. He didn't blame her. Couldn't. She'd done what she needed to do to survive, and he knew that word of his rejection would spread quickly, leaving her few, if any, places that would accept her. When he rejected her, he'd effectively damned her to life on the outskirts of shifter existence. No Pack would welcome her. No shifter programs would knowingly help her. So, she'd become someone new. Someone unmarked by his betrayal.

Ask where she is! We will find her. Claim her!

With effort, he calmed his wolf. There would be time enough for claiming...after he begged her forgiveness. And he knew he had a lot to answer for. He just hoped she'd be willing to even look at him, let alone sit and listen to him, to hear his apologies, explanations, and...hopefully...his desire for the future. A future with her.

If that's even possible now.

But first....

"What can you tell me about Kay?"