2. Awful people

Brie had heard that Maddie was gonna take a ride along with a police sergeant and Brie had asked if it was possible she could join it as well. She was familiar with New York and its police force but this was L.A. 

"Athena Grant?" Maddie asked as they reached a woman by a desk. "One and only" the woman answered putting down her pen. "Hi, we're..."

"Maddie Kendall and Brianna Reagan? new dispatchers here for your ride along" she spoke as she got up. "You requested me, no one ever requests me" This made Brie smile and get a good impression of this woman already.  

"Well we've got someone in common, Kendall's my married name, I actually used to be Maddie Buckley actually.. I am again

"Ahhh Buckley.. you're Bucks sister. E.R. nurse from Philly" Maddie smiled and nodded her head. "Hershey, how did you know that?" Athena just smiled and laughed softly. "Bobby um Captain Nash said that Buck had a sister that was new to town, your brother's boss in my boo" Athena grinned and then turned to Brie. "I don't know your story though"

"Oh I just moved here from New York, no connections just followed along with Maddie here to make sure she's not too much trouble" she jokingly said giving Maddie a wink who smiled and rolled her eyes as Athena laughed.  "Ohh if anyone is gonna be trouble I have a feeling it's gonna be you" Brie fake gasps placing a hand on her chest.

"Athena! You're... so right" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you don't have a partner?" Maddie asked while they were in the car driving along the streets of L.A. "Some don't, higher ranks usually don't" Brie jumped in answering making Athena look at her raising her eyebrow and Maddie looking at Brie surprised.

"Sorry, I come from a long line of cops. My whole family aside from my brothers, my cousin, aunt, and me are cops" she explains. "She's right, I'm a field sergeant, go wherever I want and wherever I'm needed," Athena said. 

"So you're blue-blooded" Athena grinned as Brie laughed, "I guess I am" she shrugged. "How come you didn't join the family business?" Maddie asked her. "Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my family and what they do, I do want to help people but I didn't feel like police work was my calling" 

"That's admirable" Athena nodded her head and Brie smiled softly, a silence fell over the car until Athena spoke again. 

"Was it bad?" she asked Maddie who just looked at the Sergeant, "You said your married name was Kendall. Come here to start over?"

"It was...awful. But I am not ashamed to talk about it, I mean I was.... now I realize I strong I am for getting out"

"The day that every woman in the world realizes how strong she really is is the day that will bring peace to earth," Athena said making Brie grin widely.