chapter 1: new arrivals

(Year of events: 1987)

   Sir Topham Hatt walked up to the works where the newest members of his railway were sitting. One was a small tender engine, one was a diesel shunter, and the other two were tank engines.

   "Good afternoon." Greeted the fat controller. "I take it you four are here to replace those lorries?"

   "Aye, we are sir! We heard yon lorries were nothin but trouble." Said the tender engine heartily. "Indeed they were" chuckled the fat controller. "But anyway, what're your names?"

   The four engines introduced themselves. The grey tender engine was called Iron Pegasus, The green diesel was called Buffalo, And the two tank engines were called Jackrabbit and Pisces.

   The fat controller smiled. "Well you four, run along to the sheds. I'm sure you'll all become well acquainted with my other engines."

   "Yes sir, thank you sir." The four engines said in unison. But Jackrabbit could see Pisces's face fall into a look of worry as The Fat Controller left.

 But Jackrabbit could see Pisces's face fall into a look of worry as The Fat Controller left

   "Are you alright, Pisces?" Asked Jackrabbit. "You look upset.." Pisces looked at his old friend. "Oh, I'm okay Jack... Just lost in thought about something."

   "Well, what's wrong?" Jackrabbit asked, concerned. Pisces hesitated, before he sighed mournfully. "It's my steaming troubles. You all know that I've been having problems building up steam pressure for several years now, and I'm scared that it'll cause me to be sent away!"

   Pisces looked down at his buffers. "I just... want to be useful to someone again, instead of gathering rust and cobwebs in the roundhouse forever..."

   There was a long silence. The other engines didn't make a sound, aside from hissing steam and a purring motor, before iron pegasus finally spoke.

   "Dinna fash yourself, Pisces. I'm sure you'll do great here!" She wheeshed. "I agree! I'm sure Sir Topham Hatt will fix your steaming issues easily!" Buffalo honked.

   Pisces smiled weakly. "Thanks everyone." He puffed. Pisces still wasn't sure, but he felt his position on the fat controller's railway was secure... But only barely.