The Egg Within The Void

"Where is this place? I've been here for... I don't know how long; it's all numb. Nothing seems to give me the faintest, not even the most remote hint of familiarity. It's like I am somewhere I should not be, and nothing I do helps remedy this sensation. Will I ever get home? Will I ever at least see the sun again one day? When or where even is it now? How did I wake up here? It all makes no sense to my mind-none of it. It's like I am floating in the place between conscious and asleep, not lucid yet not asleep. Will I wake up? or gain any control of this place? Will someone save me?"

"Where in this void have I been thrown? I lay down, and suddenly I am thrown what feels like millions of feet to another part of this timeless, space-less void. How can I feel like I moved, even though I haven't been able to see where I put my feet? All I do is trust my senses, but even those are failing me now. My eyes just see an infinite expanse of darkness. My nose smells naught, but the stale air around me. I cannot taste anything but the staleness of the breeze, and I feel the nearly immobile air brushing slowly across me like something wants to touch me but cannot bring itself to do so. My feet lie to me, saying I am making any movement here, but nothing agrees with the statements. Where am I? Will I ever get to something meaningful?"

"It was like always-darkness-no senses or information to follow. However, one day the void cracked with white light. The light exploded so brightly that I was nearly blinded by the shine, but after it subsided and I removed my weary arms from my face, right before me, there was a lone egg-something that should not have existed, yet it did right before me. What do I gain from this being here? I could eat it, but that feels wrong-to squander another being's life for my pitiful attempt at some sort of fulfillment...? No, I will raise it, or at least try to, despite this cold void. Maybe it will bring some warmth to this empty place."

"Day after day, I just wish to understand it all. I wish to just not be here, to be back in my old carefree state, but now all I have is darkness and loneliness to look at. Why was I brought here? What goal do I have in this sad wasteland that doesn't even have a visible end or start? The egg remains by my side. Maybe it'll hatch. Maybe it will die. I hope the prior is its fate."
"My heart nearly shattered today. The egg cracked. It slipped out of my hands. It hit the void below but did not go through or fall into it; it hit the surface and was injured. I hate myself for it. The first real thing I have felt is regret for my inadequacy. I will do all I can to care for this egg. It is still in one piece. I just wish it was okay and that it would blossom into something that could leave this place behind."

"The incident. I don't know how long ago it was now, but that seemed to trigger the egg into action. It's shell cracking a bit more each... day. few days? Time barely exists here, so I can barely comprehend it anymore, but it keeps cracking. It will hatch. Is it the hope I have wished for, or just another show of my pitiful position of not being able to truly do anything about my situation?"

"The wind stopped today. The faint hum is gone. The air is more stale than ever. Is this a bad omen? a sign of a horrible fate? The egg is intact. I hope whatever it is will hatch and be able to somehow live a real life and not live in this depressing void in its entirety.
"It hatched, but I saw nothing. The egg cracked open, but nothing came out. But there was no evidence of misery or even something dead within it, wherever the thing went. I hope it's somewhere better."

"I've carried this eggshell since... I am not quite sure how long ago, but I feel compelled to do so. Could it be something I do not comprehend?

"I'm tired. This place breaks my soul each day. I want to give up, but I feel compelled to keep going. Maybe a short nap wouldn't hurt, right?"

I'm going to rest in this eggshell. It's the only thing with color I have seen in forever. Maybe its cracked shell will give me a fleeting sense of peace.

"I woke up, but... it's dark. I cannot move. Did I perish? No. Death would mean I'd be out of the darkness, right? Why do I talk to myself like this? Is it my way of coping? It just makes me feel somehow worse, but if I stop, what will I do?"

"Cracking. I keep hearing cracking. Where is the noise coming from? I can't see anything yet. I hear it. The first real sound in... so long. I will savor the noise."

"Light... the faintest light has emerged from the void above me, but I still am unable to move in any real manner. I still reach for it, please. I just want to be free from this darkness, even if it means death."

"It blinds me every time I look.. like a gift I am not deserving of.. but I still wish for it. I want it to take me and embrace me in it, please. The cracks grow more constant and louder. I just wish to be free of this void."

"It was silent.. the light was dimmer than usual.. but then.. the void around me crumbled.. revealing.. a sky.. a beautifully blue night sky, a glowing moon sitting in the middle of it... I had nearly forgotten what it was-what anything but the void was. I could do nothing but gaze at it, and I savored it. I was... alive.. and.. in a living world.. not some void around me.. was the egg I had slept in... Was it a gift? an answer to my prayers? Whatever it was, I will. savor it all. I cannot squander it."