BEGINNING: [I]

His father left on a cold, stormy night: Large grey clouds filled the sky, Thunder growling, the sound only creeping nearer to his family's mansion. That night, his father was sneaking out through the back entrance, quietly smuggling his belongings along in a black briefcase, packed almost to the point of bursting.
Douglas noticed and ran after him, calling his name, but was met with only a disappointed glance from his father, a look of dissaproval and hatred in his gaze. His father turned away from his, at the time, only son, and drove away in a black vehicle, which couldn't be identified by Doug, into the night. Rain poured over the disheartened boy, thunder continuing with its discontent roars. The young boy's hair, soaked, and his eyes welled with tears of confusion and feelings of abandonment, the only thing he could think was of his father's hard, unloving gaze.

He returned indoors to his mother, who had witnessed the scene from the back door. She said not a word to the boy and ushered him in, as water trickled down his face, and dripped from his shirt.
He was struggling to believe what he'd just seen. Would his father really do that? And, more importantly, would he return?
Just as he had built up the nerve to ask his mother, through his tears and sulks, she took his small hand, kneeled down to his level, and pulled him into an embrace.

In the moment, he could no longer hold back his emotions and stood, motionless as tears rolled down his face. He could feel his heart thumping against his chest. From having held it all back before, a painful feeling remained in his throat, leaving him almost unable to hold his weeps down. Through his exaggerated gasps and shaky breaths, he could feel his mother's own tears falling onto his shoulder. She had held her composure up until this moment. He hadn't ever seen her cry. That did not reassure the young boy.

----------------------------------------------------------