A dark night 🖤

Summer of 1957

Young James Paul McCartney smiled his brightest smile as he walked off his school bus with his younger brother Mike.

Context....

For the past year, it had been a struggle living with his dad and Mike since his mommy died, and since she was their main source of income, they even struggled with food on the table.

And so, with the loss of money, whatever little they made went to food, school, and when saved, A LOT of alcohol for Jim (Paul's father)

With the alcohol came pain but his father wasn't abusive just when he drank a little he got way aggressive and Paul had to shield Mike from his father's disgusting hits and ways, often it being turned more emotional than physical with Jim calling Mike a mistake causing him to sob profusely to Paul.
Of course, Jim was ashamed of his own actions after that phase had passed.

Anyhow, he popped off the bus, side by side with his little bro, preparing himself of what's to come.

Mike and Paulie walked through the door to discover their father, sitting there surprisingly, all dressed up and with a grin on his face. That's when Paul shot a glance behind his father to see.....

James...

James Redding

His long-time babysitter....

.... (his tormenter)....

"Hiya boys! Bless me! I have a date tonight! She's high class, and god knows you boys need a mother figure to whip you back into shape!" He finished with a giggle and a wink.

Paul felt his skin heat up and crawl underneath with absolute rage, not at his father. Oh no. He had no problem at all with dad seeking a source of income. Or love.....
No, it was James...... the man was 34, short but quite handsome with also a drinking problem as Paul has no trouble noticing. James is always constantly shaking and, at times, can get ridiculously inappropriate for his liking. No, but James had Jim wrapped around his dirty little finger, convincing him to allow James babysitting Mike and Paul for no charge, and how could Jim refuse!? So he always accepted James' offers ever since Paul was 8 and Mike was 3, but now he's 15, and Mike is 10, so they still needed looking after.

Paulie rolled his eyes at James as he passed him to reach his dad and wrapped Jim up in a big hug " Good luck tonight daddy I hope you have fun but please don't be to long mikie will miss you" Jim smiled down at Paulie and gave a big kiss on his head.

"What did I do to deserve you two angels? You're both so precious. " he choked back a sob.
Paulie smiled and made a move to head to his bedroom with the intention to lock it behind and stay in there all night. However, James would just go after Mike, so Paul resisted.
Mike was so confused..
"So daddy, why is Mr James here?"

Jim giggled at Mike's cuteness.

"Oh sweetie, he's babysitting you while I'm out, and I'll be home around the early morning or staying over with her, but I'm not sure yet, bubba but make sure you be a good boy for Mr James, don't give him a reason to punish you so I don't want no naughty behaviour"

Paul groaned annoyingly and rolled his eyes with such an attitude. Only James was made aware by this rudeness, and he took note of it for later.

"Yes, Daddy!" Mike hugged his dad tightly, to which Jim did back.

Jim strolled to the front door, smiling and waving back at the young boys as he took his leave and walked down the path for his date.

That's when Paul's smile faded as he shut the door behind him and Mike after waving his dad goodbye.

Now this was awkward....

Paul's much more mature after last time, and he won't take any shit he thought to himself.
Yet the silence was broken by Mike skipping up the stairs and yelling to Paul. "Come on, brother! It's bedtime for me. Can you please tuck me in?"

James took this opportunity......

"I'll help if you'd like Mikie,"

Paul, however, wasn't having any of this.

"Ummm no actually I'll put him to bed. Please don't bother yourself. I'll finish with him, then I can come down, and we'll have tea?" Paul insinuated a sly message to James with this, and somehow this thick idiot got it and smiled back at Paulie.

"Of course, sweetie, don't take too long though it won't make me very pleased, and goodnight, Mikey, sweet dreams!"

"Thank you sir goodnight"

Then Mike hopped upstairs soon, followed by Paulie.

Although after bedtime for Mike Paul knew he'd have to stall James until his father got back and that'll be his greatest challenge tonight leading into the morning.

........Paulie was dreading this........

End of chapter 1 xoxo