𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

Dakota's eyes went wide with dismay, staring at me intently.

"What?" Dakota uttered. "Why?"

"Laurent wasn't her mate, only a friend — her real mate was a vampire named James," I tried explaining. "He... went after me and Bella last year in an attempt to track and hunt us down, but was killed by Alice and Edward before he could take our lives — now Victoria wants to avenge him by killing Bella and I, since our... mates killed her mate."

"You were Alice's... mate?" She asked, clearly surprised.

"Well, I suppose I thought we were," I shrugged, saddened. "She told me once that we were, and that she saw that we would be before we ever met."

"What do you mean she saw that you'd be mates?" She raised one brow, baffled.

"Well, she's..." I paused, trying to think of the right words to use. "She has the ability to see the future — anything she sees is subjective, but one vision of hers she had long ago showed that we'd be together one day, and that I would be her mate."

"She's able to see the future?" She asked, sounding stunned. "I thought those legends about vampires being able to do... extra things were just made-up myths."

"Honestly, is anything in this world a myth anymore?" I asked sarcastically.

"I guess not, it seems," she shrugged, weakly grinning before her expression dropped slightly. "So, if you were Alice's 'mate' like she said... why did she leave you behind?"

I felt my heart sink into my stomach with that question, as the wound left in my heart by Alice seemed to only enlarge with any reminder of her, refueling my resentment.

"Maybe I wasn't her real mate after all," I shrugged. "I am just a mere human anyway — nothing special that any vampire would want to keep around."

"Don't talk like that," she asserted, taking two steps towards me. "If that moronic bloodsucker can't see just how incredible and beautiful you are inside and out, then she clearly doesn't know what special truly is."

I stared back at her into her eyes, feeling my heart swell upon hearing her thoughts about me, which all sounded genuine and not out of pity.

"You think I'm beautiful?" I questioned.

"Of course I do," she softly asserted. "Everything about you is beautiful — it would take a pure fool to not see that."

I blushed, shyly smiling with my lips closed as my eyes looked down.

"Thanks, Kota," I murmured timidly.

"Listen, you don't have to worry about Victoria," she assured, placing both her hands on my shoulders. "We'll take care of this and make sure you, Bella, and Charlie are taken care of too."