I

Chapter I | Compleanno Di Una Farfalla
2016

Chapter I | Compleanno Di Una Farfalla2016

~~~

As the clock ticked, a chorus of different voices sang along the melody and lyrics of the birthday song. Amidst the glittering lights and pulsing beats, there stood Davina Rodgers, adorned in her finest dress alongside her red tainted lips. She smiled softly as the people around her cheered for her to blow her candles and make a wish. The room was vibrant with energy, people mingling, and the music filled the air. Yet, despite all of this atmosphere and laughter around her, she felt a deep hollow inside her.

There was a palpable absence.

It was as if time was slowing down and each moment stretched out to eternity. She longed for that one person who's missing from the celebration-Who has been missing from any celebration of her life for the past five years. Memories flooded her mind, memories of shared laughter and whispered secrets, now mere echoes of the past. The music swirled around her, the melody weaving its way into her soul, echoing the ache in her heart. With each note, the feeling sank in deeper, a bittersweet realization of what was lost.

"Blow your candles, Ms. Rodgers!" A voice took her out of her thoughts. She gave the crowd a gentle smile as she took a deep breath and blew the fire away. Choruses of claps and cheered are heard from all over the room as she thank everyone, before they all started to go back to their business and party as if nothing special happened-a situation that pulled Davina back to reality and purpose of this big celebration. "Smile and be a diamond, sweetheart." She saw the flash of camera and immediately did as told, as a hand wrapped around her shoulder. "Do I really have to do this?" She asked the man beside her as she scanned the people who clearly is here for business.

"By now, everyone will know you're part of the most powerful names in the business industry. So, naturally, of course you have too."

"You're carrying our name now, whether you like it or not. You're lucky. Another name spread across the lights of fame. Be thankful, this could further your career in whatever art gimmick you're doing." With that he left to greet other people in the room and left his daughter to stand all alone. 'Lucky?' She thought, that made her sarcastically laughed. "You know. With this big of a party and you looking pretty, I would've thought that you would be enjoying the night." Rolling her eyes jokingly at the voice behind her, she turned around with a sarcastic expression. "What are you talking about? Of course I'm enjoying being surrounded by people I don't know."

"Please don't do that expression again, ever. You look like those haunted porcelain dolls on horror movies." the man grimace slightly as he took in her uncanny smiling facial expression. She slapped his arm lightly, as both laughed from their stupidity. "Thank you for coming, Will. I don't know if I can handle another minute alone here." She smiled genuinely and pulled the man to a hug. "Well, I'm actually here to take you away. The getaway car is waiting outside, across the street." He playfully winked down at her. "Serena and Noah are here, aren't they?"

"Yep,"

"Now, run as I try stall your father from draining your happiness even more. Mr. Rodgers! Glad to see you again." He said as he casually blocked the man from introducing anymore people to meet the birthday girl. Laughing slightly, she dashed carefully out of the event with a smile on her face. Using the back door to avoid paparazzi, she saw the hidden black car parked at the corner of the street. Hearing it honked in confirmation, she dashed happily inside the back of car, and squealed in shocked as she heard party poppers being used. "Oh, what the hell?" She lightly laughed as she heard two familiar laughter whilst she takes off the fallen confetti that stayed on her face.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVI!"
"YOUR OLD NOW, EW."

Hearing the last comment, the woman was left gobsmacked in shocked. Finally seeing her target, she hit the person's head. "OW! Calm down woman!"

"I'm offended! I'm not that old, Noe." she said jokingly as the three woman laugh. "You're almost 30, mate. No need to be in denial."

"Why are we friends again with this 18 year old?"
"I blame Will for that, honestly. Too kind for his own good."
"Oh dear Rena, I know you guys love me. You guys defended me from my playground bully back in the day, now look at the four of us."
"Speaking of William. Where is that guy?"

As if their thoughts were answered, the passenger door opened and the man's confused face welcomed them. "First of all, why would you not lock the car door, Noah? I could've been a random creep. Second of all, are we sure that Serena should drive? We have helmets at the boot. Third of all, you-move to the back with Dav."
"Oh, come on. I was here first. Why don't you sit at the back?" The brunette whined in disbelief. "Yeah, and what's wrong with my driving?" Said the blonde girl beside her with an offended look on her face.
"Well, I own the car and you just got your license after 3 tries. So, move to the back, young lady as I don't trust Rena in front of the wheels so I'm watching her in case of emergency" He instructed using his big brother voice. "Come here and give me a hug, Noah. Will is just being a gremlin." Davina smiled softly at the trio's sibling-like banter. "Fine. You're lucky Davi gives the best hugs, dumbo."

"Happy birthday, Davi." Noah said softly as she hugged the older girl. She thanked the girl as they waited for William to be situated in his seat. "Have I told you guys that I saw a hot waiter at the party?"

"Alright, keep it in your pants Will."