CHAPTER 3

Finally... Peace had arrived. The boy with the white hair was happy he didn't have to spend more time in the company of Maia. A plethora of words could not even fathom how much he despised Maia.

This plan... This mission... It wasn't something he wanted to do. This wasn't what he wanted to do with his life. The blindfold was there to save himself from the shame he felt every time he stared at his own reflection. He hated his blood-red eyes, he hated his curse. He wished he could get rid of them. There were even times he wanted to gouge his own eyes out.

He thought, "Why... Why... Why did I have to agree to this? Why did I have to do this? Why? Why? Why?"

But then again... What choice does a cold, starving, and abandoned child have? You do what you have to do when you need to survive and you are helpless... even without realising the cost of it.

He walked towards the deck, unwilling to complete the mission, but knowing he'd be given a punishment worse than death.

"Whatever it takes to survive..." he said. "It doesn't matter. I will do whatever it takes to survive."

His walk was ominous and his eyes behind the blindfold were focused and fiery.

Upon reaching the dock he approached the girl wearing the pink dress. She matched Maia's description exactly. She was dipping her feet in the seawater while drawing something on a sketchpad. He felt compelled. He wanted to see what was on the drawing pad. He got close enough to see clearly through his blindfold. On the paper, there was a sketch of a galloping horse, its mane and tail blowing in the wind and water splashing beneath its hooves. The girl turned around.

"Hmm?" she said confusedly. She lifted her feet from the water and stood up, facing the boy with white hair. "You... I've never seen you before... Can I help you?"

"Oh-Uhm..." he stuttered.

She frowned.

"I-uh came here for the festival."

"Well, did you send a letter to the chief?" she asked. "You know you can't just show up here unannounced."

"Oh... A letter! I didn't know I had to send a letter informing the chief I'd be visiting."

"The main reason to do that is so we have enough time to prepare accommodations for you... such as a place for you to stay."

"Oh," he said. "I see. I'm sorry... Should I go back?"

"Oh no no!" she said while waving her hands and laughing nervously. "That won't be necessary. I'll just take you to the chief myself and I'm sure she'll be able to make a plan for you..." Her tone and expression suddenly changed, it became more serious. "I mean... you're not here to cause chaos are you?"

The guilt hit him as if he were being shot down by a thousand arrows.

"No... no," he said softly, ashamed.

Her expression lightened up again.

"Of course, you wouldn't come here to cause chaos," she gleamed. "Now come. Let me take you to the chief's house- or office... Whatever! Let's go."

She began walking.

"Excuse me," the boy said. "Could you perhaps hold my hand to show me the way?"

"Hm?"

"I'm blind... I cannot see."

It felt bad to lie. However, he had to do this to gain their trust and sympathy.

"Oh!" she thought. "I thought he wore the blindfold for some strange fashion purposes, but it actually turns out he's blind... Oops."

"Well then!"

She grabbed his hand and ran through the town, pulling him behind her. The speed they were moving caused his hood to fly off, exposing his titanium-white hair. They began moving uphill. Atop the hill was located the chief's house, where the boy with the white hair parted ways with Maia. Up and up they went until they reached the top.

She stopped and panted. Then she laughed.

"That was exhilarating," she said. "Don't you think?"

She looked over at him.

"I-I don't know..."

"Meh," she said.

She grabbed his hand once more and dragged him towards the large cyan double doors of the chief's mansion. She knocked on the door.

After a few minutes of waiting, shuffling could be heard from inside. The door opened. At the foot of the door stood the boy with the squeaky voice.

"Annika?" he said. "Why are you here on your free day? Aren't you scared my mother's going to make you do one of her errands again?"

She laughed nervously and rubbed her arm, looking to the side. The twelve-year-old boy noticed the boy with white hair.

"You've bought a sheep here," he said arrogantly. "Why? Who is he?"

"Sheep?" asked the boy with the white hair.

"Ugh," Annika said. "Don't mind him. He's just being rude... Alec. Where's your mother? Can I meet with her?"

"She's laughing, talking loudly and eating like a cow. She's busy. Rosalina came back with some ugly people... Family reunion... You can wait for her in the study. I'll call her."

Alec let them in. He closed the door and walked towards the dining room.

This place was strange... The hallways never seemed to end and there were doors upon doors leading to who knows where. The boy with the white hair stood where he was, intimidated. He gulped.

"What's wrong?" Annika asked.

"This place... How big is it?"

"It's bigger than most townspeople's homes, but it's not excessively big like a palace. It has six bedrooms, three working areas and three common areas. There's also a few bathrooms here and there."

Why did this place seem bigger than what she had described? It seemed to never end... It felt like a labyrinth.