Chapter 6

Jude

On my kitchen floor, I sat with my knees to my chest, staring down at my disgustingly dirty, bloody feet. Last night I thought I'd never get home. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. In real time, I hadn't been gone long, but in 1693 Salem I lived through hell for four and a half days. I'd never traveled so far back in time, and I hoped to never go back again. I'd only heard of the Salem Witch trials but didn't know the specifics... as usual... I naively assumed people only accused women of being witches; however, I found out I was wrong.

Only I wished to forget it.

The preferred method of execution for almost all convicted witches was hanging. Within ten minutes of my arrival, I witnessed it for myself.

I tried to get away, running until my feet bled, but I still got caught. It was impossible not to notice a running naked man. The fuckers nearly hanged me, accusing me of working for the devil. After days of chronic sleep deprivation and starvation, I caved and confessed, even though I'd never practiced witchcraft. I wasn't even sure I believed in it. The total experience proved that torture didn't work. People made false confessions just so the torture would end. For me, I just wanted to sleep. I got what I wanted after the confession.

Sleep.

Back home in my clean apartment, I was afraid to move, still living as if I was in the cold, dark, dirty jail cell. My arms and shoulders still ached from the stockade, my back burning from the whip. I can't do this... I can't do this... More and more, I considered putting an end to it once and for all, which meant putting an end to my life. If I was going to die, it would be by my own hands and no one else's. My phone buzzing in my bedroom jolted me back to reality. I expected a call from Percy. On all fours, I crawled to my bedroom, the floor creaking beneath me, to answer it.

"'Morning," Percy said. "I found your mother. I figure we can call her and get some answers." Percy was excited to share this information.

My mother abandoned me one too many times. I wanted nothing to do with her. Besides, I was thirsty and hungry, in excruciating pain, and wishing I had the guts to end my hellish life. Fuck my mother.

But did I really want to die?

"I can't do this," I said, my hand trembling as I gripped my phone. I broke down in tears, sobbing hysterically.

"Hold on, Jude, I'm coming over. I'll be there in a half an hour, okay? Just hang in there."

There was nothing else I could do but 'hang in there.'

Percy got here in record time, less than a half an hour. I hadn't moved from the floor.

"Open up, Jude," he said behind the door. "It's me. The door's locked."

I stumbled to the door, my legs unsteady and my vision blurred. My feet were on fire, the constant pressure making it feel like I was walking on shards of glass. As soon as I opened the door, I fell into Percy's arms.

"Oh, my God, Jude, what happened to you?"

I couldn't find my voice. In Salem, I begged for my life, crying and telling lies to save myself from hanging. I wore my voice out. Percy draped my arm over his shoulder, guiding me towards the bathroom.

"I'm so hungry and thirsty," I groaned as he helped me into the shower. I always wished I had a bathtub. Instead, I had a shitty shower stall. Dirt mixed with blood circled the drain as water beat down on me.

"I'll be right back," Percy said, hurrying to the kitchen to fetch some water. I accepted the glass, gulping it down. "What happened? Who did this?" he asked, examining my back where the whip struck me. "Where'd you go?" He rinsed a washcloth with soap and water and dabbed my back with it, cleaning the cuts.